Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I built a 302 roller motor a little while back. Im considering pulling it a few months down the road to put in another car of mine. by that time it probably wont have more than 5,000 miles on the rebuild. i want to tone it down, fuel inject it, and convert to auto. The rotating assembly was balanced with the flywheel and pressure plate. If i convert to auto, with the same 50oz balance as the flywheel, will this affect things much since the flexplate wasnt balanced with the motor?

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Hopefully when they balanced your engine, they added or subtracted the necessary weight via the crankshaft and not the flywheel, balancer nor the pressure plate clutch assembly. I would ask them how they balance an externally balanced engine and see what their first response is. Quiz them on whether they ever make a change to the imblance of a flywheel or harmonic damper.

Lastly, when you do pull the engine, check the flywheel and pressure plate for weight added or drill marks where weight might have been removed. See if you can tell when these were done.

Also, they should have given you a balance card for your motor telling you the weights of the pistons, rings, pins, rods (also weights of big and little ends), bearings. The bottom half of the card then should list the 'bob' weights. See if there any notations on it about changes to the external imbalance.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts