Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me if the paint used in the engine bay in '63 was gloss or semi-gloss? Also, were all the parts (i.e. fender wells, radiator overflow tank) the same sheen?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I believe it is more of a satin/semi-gloss. Eastwood sells a nice engine bay paint.

·
Registered
390 Posts
For myself I use the rust-o-leum gloss black in the rattle can. What happens is when it is first painted is will be glossy, then in about a month it loses it gloss and it begins to look like the factory. I use it on all the cars I do. Why it does that I don,t know, but it works.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I got into this a couple of years ago and per my interpretation of the Donahue book I used gloss raven black on fire wall and rad. support, and then mixed a "flattening agent" into the same paint to paint the inner fenders to the " correct ? '' % of gloss/ flat. Was able to give it a good heavy coat and after 2-3 yrs it still looks good. It's as smooth as a high gloss but looks flat. It cleans up well. Oil and finger prints wipe right off. I painted the fan, power steer pump, steering gear box, master cyl. and steer cylinder with the "flat " and the engine with gloss engine paint. If I ever get the valve covers and breather painted gold it should look good.
Good luck with your project.
RA

·
Premium Member
3,934 Posts
My absolute favorite is SEM Trim Black. Comes in a 1 quart can, pre-thinned, dump it in a gun and shoot.

They also sell it in spray cans and it sprays well. It is super durable, adheres well, and is a very good match for stock.

That being said I just used acrylic enamel with a flattening agent in my F100 and I hate it, it looks nice but is not durable at all, even during assembly I have been fighting with it.

·
Premium Member
1,060 Posts
I used Rustoleum Satin on mine, don't care about originality. Painted the underneath of the car also. 4 or 5 coats on the engine bay, sanded between coats, I bet I used 20 spray cans :rolleyes:.

·
Premium Member
1,060 Posts
Oh, I had a few breaks...to sand or to get the feeling back in my hand after the can suddenly fell to the floor :D.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts