Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What performance parts or accesories can you buy to clean up the engine bay of your vehicle?

I ask this because I know there is a lot of clutter in my bay. Its a california 1966 galaxie with all of the smog an emissions add ons. I can't wait to take all of that out.

What tricks do you have to hide or remove those extra add ons that no one cares to see?

·
Registered
10,312 Posts
Before you start ripping stuff out, keep in-mind the engine was tuned to use that stuff. Removing it means you should do a full carb and ignition timing re-tune. When done correctly, that is an investment of time and/or money. Although, most cars that age need it anyway just to run right and get some power and mileage.

Second, if you do take stuff off - do not throw it away. Two reasons, with CA (and everywhere else soon) likely to require you must have it intact for licensing, and because so many cars need it to get licensed or titled in various parts of the country or for "correct" restoration; that stuff is getting valuable. For 50 years folks have been throwing emissions equipment in the dumpster, and now with new emissions laws it's fairly hard to find. Seriously - try to find the stuff you would take off and how much it costs - if you can find it all. ;)

David

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh i'm not throwing ANYTHING original away on this car, or selling it. All of my changes are reversible. I just don't need it in there living in Ohio. my intentions are to delete old technology parts that can be combined into a single part. I know the distributor can be upgraded to get rid of the coil pack, and the windshield wiper fluid is useless, I don't foresee me using it. things like that. Plus I'm going for a custom look. I don't see myself selling this ride, father son project staying in the family :p

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
Wiper fluid is not useless when something gets on the windshield and you can no longer see where you're going. There is not a lot under the hoods of these old cars, so running hoses neatly and looming the few wires is important. Fluid reservoirs could be hidden behind custom panels on the fenders and move the battery to the trunk.

·
Premium Member
5,858 Posts
Man, that must be a tough question!

·
Registered
809 Posts
What performance parts or accesories can you buy to clean up the engine bay of your vehicle?

I ask this because I know there is a lot of clutter in my bay. Its a california 1966 galaxie with all of the smog an emissions add ons. I can't wait to take all of that out.

What tricks do you have to hide or remove those extra add ons that no one cares to see?
Not sure on what you would buy to clean up engine bay.

I am going to clean up the engine bay on my Comet by getting rid of everything I don't need and hiding what I do need.

Going to change Alt to a one wire to get rid of the voltage reg and wiring.

Battery is going into trunk. Washer bottle is gone. Starter solenoid going in car or in trunk. Horns will be located behind front bumper. Wiring for front lights and such will be run inside fenders instead of on the aprons.

My goal is nothing on aprons except hood hinges. And only rad, hood latch, and hood pins on the rad support. I even weld up all the holes for everything else so I didn't have a bunch of holes with nothing attached. Going for clean/simple look underhood.

Also been thinking of making some sort of rail/fixture to run my engine wires ( coil, alt, etc.) along the oil pan rail to hide them somewhat.

Lou

1 - 8 of 8 Posts