Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before I put my engine in next week I plan on painting the bay. Right now it is flat black, but I want it to look different. I can't afford to paint it to match my car, but I like the way Greg Cook's car looks with the silver/grey. Do you think I could do a decent job with spray paint, or would it look tacky and better off just going gloss black. I cleaned up the engine bay by moving the battery to the trunk and the coil and solenoid under the passenger side hinge. The only think left in the front is the AC dryer, or whatever the cylinder looking thing is. One more question: What is the easiest way to patch up old boltholes in the sheet metal, I don't have a welder, but I have a brazing kit I have never used?
Sorry such a long post.
Chris

·
Registered
389 Posts
Hey good question!!! I am planning on doing my engine bay soon too (next winter project), I was going to go with the gloss black as I love the look of it!! Let us know what you decide to do!!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Gloss black is hard to shoot with spray bombs. Too shiny for the engine bay in my opinion...you want your engine to be the shiny part of the deal
I used rust-oleum Satin finish..hard as rocks and looks great. Sprays really nicely too, just make sure the metal is super clean. Use a degreaser to get the heavy grime then laquer thinner. After you wipe it down, let it sit for a couple hours so it fully evaporates. Big problems if there is any residue. Then, spray a real light coat with the can. The lighter, the better. Wait a half hour or so then spray a regular coat. Let it dry fully (48 hours for rust-oleum) Spray a last coat and then crack a beer and light a cigarette for your hard work. This worked for me, came out good. Obviously, if you have access, spraying it with a gun would be better, but you can get a pretty nice finish with the satin. Close to the original sheen too. Biggest advice is cleanliness - the cleaner, the better the final finish.

Chris

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: srfmustang on 4/2/02 10:35am ]</font>

·
Registered
91 Posts
well I dont know what to use....But I can tell you what not to use! Do not use a Gloss Black unless you completely baremetal it and primer it. it looks like ****. I did mine at first like that with a good cleanup....but the tar that ford put in there really changes the finish. and its really just too shiny. Another thing i tried was using a gun to spray a Rustoleum paint...It was the Color Aluminum. with a black car and a aluminum engine compartment...with some black. It looked sharp. But I wasnt very good and got alot of runs. After cleaning it all up and using a flat black...it looks great.

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
Since Ford used semi-flat or satin black, it's the easiest. You'd be suprised how cheap you can do colors in the engine bay. Go to a paint store & ask, body shops do it too. Had one of mine done in gloss black imron, $50 plus $75 for materials. Whole lot less for other types of paint.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
I hate my gloss black bay. Won't ever do it again. Everything makes it look crappy, even finger prints. The only thing that makes it look nice is a coat of wax. What a pain in the ass.

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
On my Mach1 ... one side of the car had been hit and the inner skirt was going to be a little tough to get looking real "clean and nice" for paint.

We went after the engine bay with some of the textured "Chip Guard" ... the stuff you put on rocker panels etc for protection against rock chips and the likes.

It gave the engine bay a hint of texture, but not really rough looking just enough to conceal some of the imperfect stuff. Then painted with regular automotive "Centari" black.

Turned out real nice, in my opinion ... maybe a consideration any engine bay that is a little too rough for that smooth, spitshine look.

Larry Madsen
Las Vegas Nevada

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: MonsterMach on 4/3/02 8:45am ]</font>

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
I couldn't have said it better Greg. Hey guys......please please......don't DO NOT use spray bombs......I learn't that lesson years ago.......if you don't have a good low pressure gun......HIRE someone from the local body shop to do it w/the good paint! I am always miffed by people that will spend 20-100K on a car the spray the engine and compartment with a sultry spray-bomb??? Always remember.....these bombs have low grade thinned out paint that is only catalysed by the thinners in it. YOU want several coats of heavy good grade paint that is mixed with all the quality forming ingredients, ie; hardeners, fish eye remover, catalysts and the proper thinners.
Take it from us "old dogs", we've "been there, done that".
Good Luck!!
LJ

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
Although my Falcon ws painted body color I have used satin black before. I have found that flat paint doesn't work real well when you want to clean the compartment after the oil mist, dirt, grease, etc. gets deposited from normal use.
Something different that I have found for detail parts is a silver/black spray textured paint that is almost glossy. It looks like a hammered metal finish, is rough enough to cover minor imperfections and hides the dirt and grime pretty well. I've seen it in a few different colors. You might want to experiment with it. I think it's a Duplicolor paint.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I just got through painting the replacement frame for my 66 Galaxie using DuPont brand Nason Black Chassis paint. It is a semi gloss and you can get it at O'Reillys or any paint store that handles DuPont. It comes premixed in a gallon can so it does not need thinned or anything. It is also self etching so no primer is needed. I sprayed my chassis using a Wagner airless gun but I think I will invest in a HVLP gun to paint the underneath of my body. It costs $20 a gallon and dries rock hard!

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
At the risk of sounding like an idiot,has anyone ever done there engine compartment in that grey colour trunk spatter paint?I know it sounds bizarre but I have a picture of a red 67 coupe in a magazine done this way and it actually looks great in the pics.I think it would depend on the body colour of your car,and I'd like to see the real thing in person but you gotta admit it would be different.

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
At the risk of sounding like an idiot,has anyone ever done there engine compartment in that grey colour trunk spatter paint?I know it sounds bizarre but I have a picture of a red 67 coupe in a magazine done this way and it actually looks great in the pics.I think it would depend on the body colour of your car,and I'd like to see the real thing in person but you gotta admit it would be different.

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
I saw a 58 Chev PU that was slammed and shaved with the "spatter" paint in the engine bay. The truck was screamin yellow with the light grey spatter paint. It looked really nice against the billet motor. For all I know it was urethane made to look like the trunk paint. I can't imaging putting something that wouldn't hold up in such a nice piece, but I've made mistakes before too!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts