Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Id like to take some classes on ford engine building, and am looking for suggestions on schools to check out.

I am not looking to make a vocation change or anything like that, i am just an enthusiast (with a full time job) who wants to learn how to build ford motors correctly. Any type of class/course that (ex.) is a full day for a week, provides motors and tools, relatively small class size so we don't have to fight for hands on time, etc.

Any recommendations would be appreciated, thanks in advance.....

·
Premium Member
5,863 Posts
Seems like community college or vo-tech would have such a thing, though not solo Ford engines. Have you looked for an online class or DVD's like Boxwrench Engine Rebuild Instructional DVD - YouTube. Of course you can watch and watch but you can't learn till you do with your hands!

The worst issue if you rely on the internet is that much of the advice is: "Let the machine shop do it," "Buy only the best tools," "Never take shortcuts," "Restore it to original or sell it to someone who will," "Never reuse gaskets or bolts," and many, many other cliches. Seemingly well-intentioned but really often just pompous smart alec BS from folks too lazy to type in a useful answer for you.

That being said, I bought a disassembled short block and heads last year and got the book How to rebuild your Ford engine, used the shop manual and forums on line (mostly this one). Probably cost me $2000-2500 all-in to learn how to do it but now I have a smooth running 390 in my Galaxie. http://www.fordmuscleforums.com/galaxie-pages/505539-ok-ready-test-her-out.html

Don't know if that helped but at least I tried to answer your question, good luck!

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
want a no cost school ?
work part time at a machine shop for free . may take a little longer , you won't start off grinding cranks , maybe cleaning up the shop while watching .

Does'nt matter what type of engine , clean is clean along with proper fit

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Puttster - thanks for your reply. There is real value with going through the on line how to's, I'm picking up an old F250 460 motor this weekend, and will probably use that as a practice rebuild - hand on exp. I was really thinking about class to ensure I learn things correctly, and maybe not necessarily open to my own beginner interpretation. Both strategies would be fun I think.

Dan H - also a good suggestion, but with a 60 hr a week job and wife/ kids, an additional PT job is just not in the cards for me.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
The public library and websites like this one are your best friends! I learned by tearing down multiple engines and examining every little piece and then putting them back together (Honestly I just like taking stuff apart and putting it back together again regardless). A manual such as a Chiltons or Hayes will give you the basic info that you need to do a stock tear down and rebuild as well as torque specs and assembly procedure. Having a starting point as a 460 will be fun but also require a bit of heavy lifting, just make sure you keep track of where each and every little piece goes as you take it apart. Good luck and happy wrenching!!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts