Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In converting a 289 to a 351w in a 65 Mustang Fastback can I use the original 3 row radiator?
Also, the Hedman shorty headers installed on the 351w are rubbing on the shock towers on the passenger side. How can I fix this?

·
Registered
7,414 Posts
65-66 mustang radiators are really small. The stock 2-core was barely adequate for a stock 289, and once it got some age, came up short. 3-core was a pretty much mandatory upgrade... and that's with the stock sized 1/2" core tubes. Some aftermarket rads advertise a 3-core, but the tubes are only 3/8" so read the fine print. I have a 4-core stashed away, and have had it for YEARS, but these thicker rads need a good fan and shroud. Have an aluminum one on the mustang now. It has two HUGE cores... 1" maybe. For a 351W, I think you're pushing your luck with the 3-core... especially if it has the smaller tubes. Many upgrade to a wider radiator in these cars. I believe the 67-68 radiator is a do-able swap. Maybe someone will confirm what it needed to do so.

As for headers... Are the headers currently on the car for a 289 or a 351W? Hedman makes some 351W specific shorties for the 65-73 mustang. Part #88650 http://www.mustangsunlimited.com/Mustang/Exhaust/Headers/Shorty-Headers/Hedman-Shorty-Headers-1-5-8-Black-1965-1973-Mustang-351W-Swap.axd

If you want full length, Accufab makes a set that people have been very happy with. Hooker does as well. It's part #6208

Here is some really old info on mustang engine swaps.

For a street car, the shorty Hedmans should be the easiest to deal with... as long as they fit. lol

All this being said, sometimes the shock towers sag inward over time. They can be Port-a-Powered back apart to where they are supposed to be. The measurement for the factory distance between the shocks is out there. I don't know it offhand. But, if the towers are sagging inwards, it makes the headers all that much tighter. Remember to loosen the shock tower braces that go towards the firewall before spreading them.

Good Luck

1 - 2 of 2 Posts