Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About a year ago my cousin and I went in on 4 Mustangs.We are trying to match the parts with the cars.Can someone tell me how close the dates need to be with engine/trans date codes on a car that was built June 15 1970 according to the Marti Report?Thanks.

·
Registered
10,342 Posts
Generally, casting dates are within 2-3 weeks of build. As the year gets long, or if they had strikes in supplier plants, etc., the number could vary from 3 days to maybe 10 weeks or more. However, those situations are documented, and correct parts for a concours car are pretty specific. HTH

David

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks.We are supposed to have the matching engine and trans to the car but who knows.We got two complete engines,two pairs of extra heads,three extra blocks,and three toploaders so now it's time to do some digging.

·
Registered
10,342 Posts
Fortunately, yours is an end-of-model-year car. That means there will be more slop in what was used for date codes. This is because at the end of the production year, the suppliers crank-out a bunch of parts to finish the year, yet have time to switch machinery to making parts for the next model year in August and get them out to the assembly plants. The primary difference is if a part was used the following year or not. If the exact same head casting was used in '71, then the casting date should be closer to the assembly date, whereas a part that ended use in the '70 model year would have a larger spread between casting and assembly dates to allow the production machinery switch to '71 parts.

David

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info.He was going to restore the car that is supposed to be a numbers matching car but doesn't have the motivation to do it so I need to round up all the parts and put it up for sale.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah,going in on this deal I got a buildable car out of it and I kind of knew he wouldn't finish this one.Someone out there will want it though.70 Mach I, 351Cv4V,4 speed,3.25 Traction lok,Metallic blue,shaker hood car.Needs a ton of work but a very cool car with a clear Texas title.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts