Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well we finally got this engine running, after 2 thrust bearing failures with the engine in the car.

We decided to break the engine in on the engine dyno and have it tuned, then then try to address the thrust bearing failure after, eliminating the engine as the culprit.

Here are the results as relayed from the dyno tech on the phone (sorry no print out as of yet)

Max power - 585 HP at 6200 rpm
Max torque - 518 ft-lbs at 4500 rpm

Equipment
331 Stroker
TFS twisted wedge heads- stage 1 porting
8.65:1 compression, forged pistons
Cam - XE274hr
Intake - weiand stealth
Carb - 650 Mighty Demon
Paxton Supercharger Novi 1200 - w/ 7.5 lbs boost
Full carb enclosure.

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
Very Nice numbers!

Couple of suggestions. I think you maybe giving up power using the stealth manifold in this application. The Vic. Jr will do a better job of distributing the volume of air via the blower.

This combo is much like the 331/Vortech S-Trim engine we put together, except we had over 10:1 compression and could never get a safe A/F ratio (the engine was never intended to be boosted.)

here is the article:
http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2004/08/HighOnCarbs/index.php

THank

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Gotta love it! That's going to be a FUN ride.

Now to kill that little gremlin....

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
On 2006-09-26 23:41, mikemustang289 wrote:
Stock Block?
Yup, Stock 5.0 block. I know it'll eventually split if I run it hard consistently. I'm looking into a new product called a Valley Girdle pro to help it stay together.

·
Registered
7,497 Posts
Valley girdles are little more than decoration.

Your best bet is to make sure the engine NEVER runs into detonation... as THAT is what kills stock blocks. ALWAYS run good fuel when much boosting is planned, cold plugs, limited timing, don't run it hard when the engine is hot, etc.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
Don't waist the money on the valley bracing, save your money and get a Ford Racing or Dart Block, Its the only real fix in High Hp applications.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I have a similair combo im trying to get the bugs out of with a 349 with ported RPM heads,Vic Jr,750 prepped carb and Isky solid cam,264*, . 589 lift and Paxton SN2000 at 7 psi. What kind of fuel sytem do you have???? It was surging or dying at 6K so I was told my problems was running lean above 6k rpm so i put in a new sumped tank,1/2" line and 380 GPH pump only to find it does the same thing.No I have a feeling its been too rich all along. I hope i get numbers like that

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
Rich mixtures don't usually surge - they miss and the plugs are a dead give away. You need more carb. You are using a 650 on an engine that is effectively a 500 cubic inch engine. Try it with a 750 -780 CFM carb and see if it leans out at a higher RPM. If it does you can go to an 850 cfm carb. The supercharger is pumping almost 50% more air into your engine than it would use if it was naturally aspirated.
Paul

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
On 2006-09-29 11:28, iskwezm wrote:
I have a similair combo im trying to get the bugs out of with a 349 with ported RPM heads,Vic Jr,750 prepped carb and Isky solid cam,264*, . 589 lift and Paxton SN2000 at 7 psi. What kind of fuel sytem do you have???? It was surging or dying at 6K so I was told my problems was running lean above 6k rpm so i put in a new sumped tank,1/2" line and 380 GPH pump only to find it does the same thing.No I have a feeling its been too rich all along. I hope i get numbers like that
We are using a boost reference mechanical fuel pump. It did give the dyno operator a hard time as it tends to spike pressure at boost. As for the rest, the engine has yet to be installed.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts