Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my 15 year old son a 1971 Torino GT with the 351C. Car was not for sale but I spotted it in the guys back yard and asked him if he would sell it. Car did not run and owner explained to me that it did run and as proof he provided me the emissions report he had done on the car just a few weeks earlier. Passed emissions bty, On the way home, he reported to me that the oil pump froze and then sheared off the roll pin on the distributor to cam gear. Car was original worn out grabber yellow with laser stripes. I like an old original car with worn paint . I enjoy seeing what I am getting. I believed what he was telling me, and bought the car. Towed the car to my buddies shop and paid him to lift the car, jack up the motor, pull the pan, replaced the oil pump and bottom end bearings as well as freezer plugs. The car was returned to me running condition. I noticed a lot of sludge in the top of the motor every time I would change or add oil. I mean a lot !! Tons !! It was so bad that it would get all over my funnel every time I would add oil and stick my funnel in there. Also. When you would light the motor, you could hear several lifters clatter and one by one pump up. All I could think of was that the previous owner must have used Paraffin based Penzoil for 40 years and really gummed up the works !! I under stand now that Penzoil has gone petroleum based oil now days. I guess they changed some 10 years or so ago. PTL. Never used the stuff myself because of this. But anyway.. I digress.. What I wanted to do was clean up the inside of this motor. After reading horror stories about doing an engine purge or flush, I decided to try the more gradual and common approach. Lots of oil changes using only Valvoline and added a quart of ATF to the mix. This seemed to help. I have heard that current ATF has less detergent than the motor oils. Never tried the kerosene thing... Just oil changes. After 2-3 years of daily driving and many oil changes and about half way through this process we switched to synthetic. Another year or so went by and the lifter clatter from one cylinder came back with a vengeance. Driver side front cylinder has always been a problem child. Lower on compression and would foul its plug sooner than any other cylinder. Actually, this cylinder would dictate when to change plugs for the motor. Instead of using a 25, we would go one hotter and use a 26. But the exhaust lifter for this one cylinder was giving us more and more of a fit. My son , now 18 and going to college every day with this car, called and said that the lifter was so loud he was afraid to drive it. This lifter when cold would pump up, but on the restart, it would clatter like crazy !! Some times it would not pump up at all on the restart and so he had to limp the car home on 7 cylinders. Engine top end rebuild time.. Right ? Do the heads, replace the lifters.. Major expense.. Or.. Since we know which lifter it is, we can pull the carb and intake and simply replace that one lifter. What a hassle !! But we can do it.. If that fails, then pull the motor and redo.. Dread !.. So.. I call a performance shop for adjustable rockers.. Bad idea.. What if it pumps up? My son and I pulled the valve cover and found 2-3mm of slop on the exhaust valve push rod to rocker. Removed both and examined. Push rod not chipped or anything. Looks factory good and stock.. Put it all back together. Scott at On Track said he had some BG Engine Purge.. Try it before you yank the motor.. Ok.. I will try it.. 30 bucks for a quart of BG Engine purge. I have never heard anything bad and only good about BG products.. So.. I bought it. What Have I got to lose? I mean.. We can not drive the car any more, at least not above 2000rpm since this one lifter is not pumping up any more cold or hot.. So.. We were in need of help. My son and I followed the directions on the jug of BG. Directions said, do oil change and filter, substitute one quart of oil for the quart of BG engine purge. Run engine 1500-1700 rpm for 15 -20 mins. Drain oil and filter and put in new oil and filter and add BG MOA. Done... So.. My son and I followed the directions about 90 percent .. What we did was, we changed out the Valvoline Synthetic oil for Valvoline 10-30 conventional 5 quart jug and filter. Subtracted one quart for the BG. All added.. Started engine and let it warm up for a few minutes.. And then ran it up to 1500rpm and revving engine to 2000rpm now and then.. Lifter clatter from that one cylinder was loud !! Never took it over 2000rpm.. I would be afraid to chip the push rod with that much clatter.. I asked my son to say a prayer for his engine.. I know I said one... About 7-10 mins later into this endeavor, the lifter gradually went silent.. !!! Yes !!! A minute later... The clatter starting coming back !! Noooo !! And then it went away again !! Yes !!! And it has not returned since !! Yes !! BG says 15-20 mins.. We were approaching 20 mins.. We added another 5 mins.. And then another 5 mins.. Total time for Purge was 30 mins.. I went and bought another 5 Quart Jug of Valvoline 5-30 since it is getting cold now, and replaced the oil but not the filter as I wanted to leave some of that BG in the oil that was in the filter. This is what I can tell you.. This car runs so good now it is unbelievable !! No lifter clatter during start ups or at any time at all !! Car is not using oil any more.. This is unreal !! This car is a 351C 2V and it runs like a scalded ape !! It will chirp the tires between gears and we are in Colorado at 6000-9000 feet ! This old Torino is just a blast to drive !! There is no way I would even think of pulling this motor and doing anything to it now !! No way !! Even the spark plug for the problem cylinder is now a toasty brown on our last plug Chop !! I am not kidding.. I have no idea what this BG Purge Stuff is made of.. But man o man is it good stuff. It is unreal actually.. After 2-3 years of dealing with sluggish performance and oil consumption.. I mean it !! We were adding oil every fill up.. I have not had to add any oil now for 3 fill ups. It is only half a quart down !! It will be 6 fill ups now before it gets to the add line.. At any rate, this is my experience with BG engine purge.. I do not know what to say except for.. WOW!! Again.. I have not added the MOA. I am getting ready to do filter and oil again to get any remaining BG purge out of the motor. But Wow !! What a runner. It is really really amazing.. and.. No.. I do not sell BG or work for anyone that does.. That is the only thing that is a bummer about BG, and that is they do not sell it at the chains.. I had to call a shop that happen to have the stuff. When I get my 68 Fairlane 500 back from the paint shop, I am going to run a quart of BG engine purge into it and do the same thing. I have noticed that when it is cold, I get a ton of lifter clatter from that old 302 4V. Well.. This has been my experience with BG Engine Purge.. And it is all good !! All great Actually !! Enjoy the ride !! :)

·
Premium Member
3,641 Posts
I bought my 15 year old son a 1971 Torino GT with the 351C.
Car was not for sale but I spotted it in the guys back yard and asked him if he would sell it.

Car did not run and owner explained to me that it did run and as proof he provided me the emissions report he had done on the car just a few weeks earlier. Passed emissions bty,

On the way home, he reported to me that the oil pump froze and then sheared off the roll pin on the distributor to cam gear.
Car was original worn out grabber yellow with laser stripes. I like an old original car with worn paint .

I enjoy seeing what I am getting. I believed what he was telling me, and bought the car.
Towed the car to my buddies shop and paid him to lift the car, jack up the motor, pull the pan, replaced the oil pump and bottom end bearings as well as freezer plugs.

The car was returned to me running condition. I noticed a lot of sludge in the top of the motor every time I would change or add oil. I mean a lot !! Tons !!

It was so bad that it would get all over my funnel every time I would add oil and stick my funnel in there.
Also. When you would light the motor, you could hear several lifters clatter and one by one pump up.

All I could think of was that the previous owner must have used Paraffin based Penzoil for 40 years and really gummed up the works !!
I under stand now that Penzoil has gone petroleum based oil now days. I guess they changed some 10 years or so ago. PTL.
Never used the stuff myself because of this. But anyway.. I digress..

What I wanted to do was clean up the inside of this motor.
After reading horror stories about doing an engine purge or flush,

I decided to try the more gradual and common approach. Lots of oil changes using only Valvoline and added a quart of ATF to the mix.
This seemed to help. I have heard that current ATF has less detergent than the motor oils.
Never tried the kerosene thing... Just oil changes.

After 2-3 years of daily driving and many oil changes and about half way through this process we switched to synthetic.
Another year or so went by and the lifter clatter from one cylinder came back with a vengeance.
Driver side front cylinder has always been a problem child. Lower on compression and would foul its plug sooner than any other cylinder.

Actually, this cylinder would dictate when to change plugs for the motor. Instead of using a 25, we would go one hotter and use a 26.
But the exhaust lifter for this one cylinder was giving us more and more of a fit.
My son , now 18 and going to college every day with this car, called and said that the lifter was so loud he was afraid to drive it.
This lifter when cold would pump up, but on the restart, it would clatter like crazy !! Some times it would not pump up at all on the restart and so he had to limp the car home on 7 cylinders.

Engine top end rebuild time.. Right ? Do the heads, replace the lifters.. Major expense.. Or.. Since we know which lifter it is,
we can pull the carb and intake and simply replace that one lifter.
What a hassle !! But we can do it..

If that fails, then pull the motor and redo.. Dread !..

So.. I call a performance shop for adjustable rockers.. Bad idea.. What if it pumps up?
My son and I pulled the valve cover and found 2-3mm of slop on the exhaust valve push rod to rocker. Removed both and examined.

Push rod not chipped or anything. Looks factory good and stock.. Put it all back together. Scott at On Track said he had some BG Engine Purge..

Try it before you yank the motor.. Ok.. I will try it.. 30 bucks for a quart of BG Engine purge.
I have never heard anything bad and only good about BG products..

So.. I bought it. What Have I got to lose? I mean.. We can not drive the car any more, at least not above 2000rpm since this one lifter is not pumping up any more cold or hot..

So.. We were in need of help.
My son and I followed the directions on the jug of BG.
Directions said, do oil change and filter, substitute one quart of oil for the quart of BG engine purge. Run engine 1500-1700 rpm for 15 -20 mins.

Drain oil and filter and put in new oil and filter and add BG MOA. Done...

So.. My son and I followed the directions about 90 percent ..
What we did was, we changed out the Valvoline Synthetic oil for Valvoline 10-30 conventional 5 quart jug and filter.
Subtracted one quart for the BG. All added..

Started engine and let it warm up for a few minutes.. And then ran it up to 1500rpm and revving engine to 2000rpm now and then..
Lifter clatter from that one cylinder was loud !! Never took it over 2000rpm..
I would be afraid to chip the push rod with that much clatter.. I asked my son to say a prayer for his engine..
I know I said one... About 7-10 mins later into this endeavor, the lifter gradually went silent..

!!! Yes !!! A minute later... The clatter starting coming back !! Noooo !! And then it went away again !! Yes !!! And it has not returned since !! Yes !! BG says 15-20 mins..
We were approaching 20 mins..
We added another 5 mins.. And then another 5 mins..

Total time for Purge was 30 mins..

I went and bought another 5 Quart Jug of Valvoline 5-30 since it is getting cold now, and replaced the oil but not the filter as I wanted to leave some of that BG in the oil that was in the filter.

This is what I can tell you..
This car runs so good now it is unbelievable !! No lifter clatter during start ups or at any time at all !! Car is not using oil any more..

This is unreal !!
This car is a 351C 2V and it runs like a scalded ape !!
It will chirp the tires between gears and we are in Colorado at 6000-9000 feet !
This old Torino is just a blast to drive !! There is no way I would even think of pulling this motor and doing anything to it now !!
No way !!
Even the spark plug for the problem cylinder is now a toasty brown on our last plug Chop !!
I am not kidding..
I have no idea what this BG Purge Stuff is made of.. But man o man is it good stuff.
It is unreal actually..
After 2-3 years of dealing with sluggish performance and oil consumption..

I mean it !! We were adding oil every fill up.. I have not had to add any oil now for 3 fill ups. It is only half a quart down !!
It will be 6 fill ups now before it gets to the add line..
At any rate, this is my experience with BG engine purge..
I do not know what to say except for.. WOW!!
Again.. I have not added the MOA.

I am getting ready to do filter and oil again to get any remaining BG purge out of the motor.
But Wow !! What a runner. It is really really amazing..
and.. No.. I do not sell BG or work for anyone that does..

That is the only thing that is a bummer about BG, and that is they do not sell it at the chains..
I had to call a shop that happen to have the stuff.

When I get my 68 Fairlane 500 back from the paint shop, I am going to run a quart of BG engine purge into it and do the same thing.
I have noticed that when it is cold,
I get a ton of lifter clatter from that old 302 4V. Well..
This has been my experience with BG Engine Purge..
And it is all good !! All great Actually !! Enjoy the ride !! :)

sounds like a exellent product....:)

and could you Please hit enter key after each sentance..
so it looks like this....

i had to read it over and over again untill it made sence...
geesch it was giving me a headache.....;)...:D

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Oh jeeze guys just read it as if some young cute valley girl were reading it and NOT breathing and you'll be fine....lol I still dont really know what the product is tho..

I would still think his problem to start with was with the switch to the Synthetic Motor Oil, and he finally got it Purged out of system.. ( Yes I HATE synthetic oils, am not a fan of them in any shape,form, function. Have ALWAYS had very bad experiences with it)

Did Find this BG Products .

1 - 4 of 4 Posts