Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My engine started going clan clang clang..... this morining and then just shut off. What is wrong with it? Freshly rebuilt with less than 500 miles on it? Any ideas? 289. Do you think its detonation? The builder said it had 11:1 comp but he said to run it on premium and it will be fine? It was offly loud as i cold hear it in the room that was next to the driveway where the car was sittin. ANY ideas?

·
Programmer
856 Posts
First off, do something simple. Pull the valve covers and look for a bent pushrod, busted rocker arm, etc. If then at that point you dont know what it is, then start worrying.

Chris

·
Premium Member
2,908 Posts
I concur. Always start with the easy stuff first, before getting into the big nasty stuff. When I first built my 302 I immediately bent two pushrods on my first drive around the block. We figured somehow the new chamfering of the guides was somehow not free enough to allow easy movement of the pushrods. We replaced the pushrods and the problem just went away. Who knows?

·
Registered
660 Posts
Probably not a bad idea to change the oil and make sure there isn't anything that has decided to go for a swim...

·
Registered
522 Posts
I agree with the diagnosis of the others, but I would first check all of the external assemblies to be sure they are all tight and properly installed. A loose pulley or fan can create quite a racket. It is also possible a fastener on a flexplate or anything that rotates has come loose and is causing trouble. These things can be very easy to forget and will cause Clanging and even stop an idling engine. Good Luck!

·
Registered
355 Posts
Could be your starter against your flexplate. This would be due to either a sticking starter gear or improper clearance with starter housing.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mustangzrule got it....the engine builder came over and it wasnt making the sound and he checked the rocker arms and adjusted them but he also said that the cheap starter we bought wouldnt las long with that engine. So high torque tarter

·
Premium Member
2,806 Posts
I've used "cheap" Autozone and Pepboys starters with my 12+ to 1 compression engines and they lasted. Even with centrifugal advance lock out having 36 degrees timing all the time even when starting and the starters didn't go bad. I can see that happening with an old worn out starter though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts