Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All, Can anyone tell me what the torque should be on the valves of a 1962 - 63 221 V8 engine. Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Premium Member
34,855 Posts
OK, since I can't get a word out of you I'll tell you this.

YOU DON'T TORQUE THE VALVES!

You adjust them. Is this what you want to know? If so:

Are teh lifters new? Is this a rebuild? Is this a new push rod on an old lifter? You get my gist right?

FE

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: FEandGoingBroke on 9/28/06 12:26pm ]</font>

·
Premium Member
34,855 Posts
OK here i show you adjust your valves on the 221.

TDC your piston, even a few degrees after is ok:

Loosen the rocker and tighten up to point of zero lash (first contact between pushrod, lifter, rocker and valve all at the same moment-- that's zero lash)

Tighten down 2 full turns (this places the lifter plunger in the center of it's travel)

Do the other 7 cylindars exactly the same and you're done.

FE

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
2 TURNS
waaaaayyy to much,maybe 1/2 to 3/4. It wont run at 2turns

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 64 TBOLT on 9/28/06 12:39pm ]</font>

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Have not had time to do it yet! Thanks.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts

Are you wondering the torque value for turning the nut on the stud for rocker arms?

I don't know if that is written anyplace.

I had two of the cone shaped nuts go soft three years ago, for they would not hold adjustment. After about 500 miles they would slack off and whack the pushrod adjustment too. I had several cylinder heads here, and replaced the "finger tight" ones with a couple off a rusty head. They stayed tight then and held adjustment for years thereafter.

Wm.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Back in the day we used to adjust the valves on the small blocks with the engine running, yeah it gets a little messy but I've got a set of clips that go over the pushrod holes on the rockers and it's not too bad, I don't know if they still sell them but every parts store had them 25 yrs. ago. Get the engine warmed up, remove the valve cover restart it and loosen up the rocker till it starts clattering, start retightening it and when it stops clattering, turn the adjusting nut 3/4 of a turn. The engine will start running a little rough on the final quarter turn but it will smooth right out. Coosbay is right, the
adjusting nuts should not be finger tight, the are locking nuts, if you have one that can be threaded on with your fingers get rid of it, it is NFG. Go through all the cylinders and your adjustment will be fine.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
All good info. Thanks

1 - 12 of 12 Posts