Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
742 Posts
I posted a question last week in the Garage about engine hoisting. I had some helpful responses and no doubt some would have worked for me. I just didn't like the idea of those small 5/16" threads in my blower possibly failing and causing catastrophic damage to the engine, mustang, or one of us. We came up with an easy solution. Using a come along, two small pieces of angle, a spreader bar fabricated with square tubing and chain, we were able to slide my engine in with no problems. All this for about $25 or less. You may even have the stuff in your scrap pile.

The two pieces of angle, long enough to bolt it to two header bolts, were fastened with 3/8" cap bolts. This also holds the chain away from the valve covers.

Here is the engine ready for hoisting. The come along is tied to the tail shaft of the transmission. The come along is lowered as you stab the engine and trans. This makes the install effortless.

And here she is. As the engine is lowered, there is a point where the cable from the come along hits the back of the engine bay. By this time the engine is in far enough to where the come along is not needed. A jack is placed under the tail shaft before the cable is released. With the jack in place parallel with the vehicle, it will roll as needed by itself.

Attachments

·
Registered
165 Posts
Looks like it worked out well, I personally use one like this. 2200 lb. Capacity Engine Tilter - XXXAFF582
I built several of them myself years ago and they went like hot cakes all my friends wanted them I must of built a half dozen or more of them. Pretty good Sat. afternoon project. Though I wish I had found this source back then I think I would have just bought one. Check them out. I have had BBF with C6 and also 468 Chevy and turbo 400 on one many times not a problem setting the whole works in just about any chassis.

·
Registered
129 Posts
very similar to the factory lift lugs Ford used

at first i thought, why drop it in with the blower? but i know how heavy they are, if i had a picker i'd use it to set the blower by itself, it was tough for 2 guys to get mine into the back seat of a 4 door to bring it home!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts