Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I have a Mustang 2006 V6. My engine light came on a while back. When I get it scanned at Advanced Auto Parts it says the coolant is not get warm enough. I went outside and checked my radiator fluid level (I guess it is the overflow above the radiator) and it was half full. I poured in Coolant until it was to the recommended level.

I turned my car on and cranked up the heat and after f15 minutes the liquid did not move at all.

I'm thinking thermostat? What else could it be?

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
Hello all,

I have a Mustang 2006 V6. My engine light came on a while back. When I get it scanned at Advanced Auto Parts it says the coolant is not get warm enough. I went outside and checked my radiator fluid level (I guess it is the overflow above the radiator) and it was half full. I poured in Coolant until it was to the recommended level.

I turned my car on and cranked up the heat and after f15 minutes the liquid did not move at all.

I'm thinking thermostat? What else could it be?
T/stat or the temp sensor for the pcm

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your response.

Is there any easy way to know which it could be? If not, which is an easier fix? I know thermostats are only about 18 bucks...If I replaced the thermostat would the engine light automatically turn off?

·
Premium Member
34,853 Posts
Hold on a sec. The symptoms you described do not match an overflow bottle low condition.

Please take a minute to compose your thoughts on what autozone really said and then tell us.

Once we know what they told you and what the code was the easier we can help you out.

NOTHING that you do to your thermostat will change that code.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will be free in a little bit to go back to Autozone and have them give me the code that the scanner reads. With the problem "Coolant not getting warm enough" what are some possible fixes?

·
Premium Member
1,330 Posts
What does your gauge say? Most likely tstat if it's not getting warm enough.

·
Registered
63 Posts
4.0L or 4.6L ? p0128 is the code for low temp. If it's the 4.0L I've done quite a few t/stats for that code. There is also a reprogram for the pcm for the same code. Autozone can clear code for you to after changing the t/stat.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The temperature gauge takes a little while to build up to half way. But once it gets there it stays there.

So, if it reads p0128, should I just pick up a thermostat and then have them reset my engine light?

You think that they would reset my engine light so I could just get my car inspected before replacing? I am in a huge time crunch to get it inspected.

·
Registered
841 Posts
So, if it reads p0128, should I just pick up a thermostat and then have them reset my engine light?
Yes. P0128 = replace thermostat. If you know how the code works, then you can rule out the wiring and the sensor.

You think that they would reset my engine light so I could just get my car inspected before replacing? I am in a huge time crunch to get it inspected.
Won't work if your locality scans the computer. The readiness codes will not be set and it won't pass OR it will have a P0128 pending code.

Huge time crunch... Fix it right the first time or it takes twice as long to fix it the second.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Yes. P0128 = replace thermostat. If you know how the code works, then you can rule out the wiring and the sensor.

Won't work if your locality scans the computer. The readiness codes will not be set and it won't pass OR it will have a P0128 pending code.

Huge time crunch... Fix it right the first time or it takes twice as long to fix it the second.
X2. This is good advice

1 - 12 of 12 Posts