Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
When I received the 390 back from the rebuilder, the engine mounts were removed and it looks like the bolts were melted/disfigured in the process. Does anyone know if I'm looking at the right thing and where I can get a set of motor mount bolts of the same style as these. I have a '64 fastback with 2-bolt motor mounts. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Also, I'm obviously going to replace the left and right mounts, but is it worth replacing the rear mount as well since I'll be in there?

·
Registered
10,327 Posts
Those are double-ended studs. One end goes into the block, and the other gets a nut. You can get new ones at auto parts stores and well-stocked hardware stores. Take an old one to match-up. Diameter and thread pitch is important, but length only needs to be sort-of close.

Yes, the rear mount goes bad like the fronts. Sometimes faster. Replace all three at the same time.

David

·
Registered
10,327 Posts
None of the Fe's that I've owned had those as motor mount bolts....
Not from block to mount? It's common in other engine families though. Unless positive they came from the block mount, I would measure to verify where they actually came from.

Other possibilities are the exhaust manifold outlet flanges (cast manifold to pipe flange), or head-to-manifold guide studs for the exhaust, usually two per head. Hmmm.

David

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So when I got the engine back, I got a coffee can of hardware with it, and these are the only bolts that 1) fit in the hole and 2) are in a set of four. I'm not sure where they came from. What would a typical motor mount bolt look like? I can stick any bolt that fits in there, but I want to make sure I don't have to replace it in the future. The mount hole in the block is about 3/4" deep, so I thought these bolts made sense...

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
I would have figured for the motor mount bolts they would be just what ever the size is and maybe and inch long, Not studs and nuts.... Those look more like exhaust studs to me..... (hence the "melted/disfigured") Not for sure what the actual bolt size is for the mount, maybe 3/8"X1" to maybe 1 1/4" long...

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Those are the studs for the exhaust manifolds to head pipes. The bolts for the motor mount to block are 7/16"-14x1" with a lock washer. Grade 5 or 8.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Those are the studs for the exhaust manifolds to head pipes. The bolts for the motor mount to block are 7/16"-14x1" with a lock washer. Grade 5 or 8.
Ah ha! So I was mistaken. Thank you for the clarification!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts