Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put around 3200 miles on the Gal this summer. Last nite I drained the oil and it was a little over 1/4 quart low. I didn't add any since the last oil change. Does this seem ok or is it using to much oil?
Gracias as always!!

·
Registered
284 Posts
sounds fine for that length of time and miles. Did you get all the oil out of the filter?

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
On 2006-10-05 16:54, Phalanx wrote:
sounds fine for that length of time and miles. Did you get all the oil out of the filter?
Yep, drained that into the pan as well, I let it drain with the back end lifted up over nite so I think I got most out of the pan.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
You know Scott, how did you measure the oil useage? Did you drain all the oil in a container that measures directly? Are you going by the dipstick? I ask because if you drained the oil in a container, and then drained again in a measuring device of some type, you always lose some oil that is residually sticking to every surface it touches. Example: I never throw out oil quarts after I drain them into the engine. Why? Because i cap them and tip them over upside down. After a bit of time, the resudual oil in the bottle drains into the cap, filling it over. I use this oil to lube stuff around the car or house or whatever. You will always lose a bit of oil every time it is spread over any surface. You lose some residual in the quart container, you lose some when you drain it from the engine because it takes forever to completely drain all of it, if all of it will even escape. Dont forget the oil filter as well. The filter media soaks up a good bit and it wont let it go without a lot of time. So, after all that, I would say that a 1/16 reduction in oil capacity after 3200 miles is pretty negligable.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: v8shadow on 10/6/06 8:26am ]</font>

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ken, I agree 100%. I do have a container that is marked on the side in quarts, but I am sure there was a bit left in the filter and in the pan. It almost seems like I should have had less in the pan when I drained it, dunno, maybe I spaced when I re-filled in the spring and used 6 instead of five, LOL.
Thanks for the feedback!

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
It is normal for the molecules in oil to evaporate when it goes through a few heat cycles. Even as much as 1/4 of a quart after the first few hundred of miles after a fresh oil change.

·
Administrator
21,770 Posts
I have never ever measured the oil I drained. Never even crossed my mind. I knew how much was on the stick and how much I'd added after an oil change so guess thought that was good enough.
Seems normal to me like V8 said, who knows how much we could get out of the inside of an engine if we could get it all off and into a container. I actually thought there would be more than that missing just for that reason.

Deb

·
Registered
825 Posts
I think I read in my 64 galaxie shop manual under the general description of the 289 challenger that it is normal to have to add 1/4 of a quart after a few hundred miles

1 - 8 of 8 Posts