Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys. I am about to get my rebuilt engine back from the shop and I have to paint it. I want it to have the correct color for a 1967 289ci. There are a lot of colors out there, Ford Corporate Dark Blue, Ford Corporate Blue, Ford Medium Blue. Some are advertised as New Ford Blue and Old Ford Blue. Which one is right for my engine?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Yes. The internals will be different but from the outside I want it to look original. When I bought the car the engine was a light blue. I didn't think that was correct so I got some paint from NPD. It was dark blue and I don't like that, it looks almost black.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Old Ford Blue. Yes, that's it. I've seen pictures of that color on 67 engines, but they never specified exactly which blue it was. Thanks for your responses. I can't wait to get it painted and in the car...

·
Registered
743 Posts
yea, thats "old" ford blue, the "new" ford blue is the darker one you experienced already

·
Premium Member
2,170 Posts
The nice thing about old ford blue is it seems to lay on real nice. I dont know why, but it covers well and dries rock hard. Share some before and after pics.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey there guys,sorry im abit new to all of this.
I currently have a 74 Ford Falcon xb with an inline 6 250ci that i am restoring and i am abit confused with the paint colours.The Valve cover is Orange and i have managed to track down the correct colour for that in engine enamle but i cant seem to match up the engine body...I Presume it's Old Ford blue but im not too sure?i would really appreciate some help!Cheers Cliff

·
Registered
117 Posts
The orange could be the Ford Red (don't know the correct name) that the company used for years on tractors and six cylinder engines, but was never used on V8's. It's a really nice colour!

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
around 66/67 Ford changed to "Ford Corporate Blue" which would be Duplicolor 1621. When "New Ford Blue" (#1606) came out "Ford Corporate Blue" became "old" Ford Blue which seems to add to the confusion. 1621 is the one you want.

There is another earlier Ford Blue (#1601) that is lighter that I've seen used but it is too light.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
The orange could be the Ford Red (don't know the correct name) that the company used for years on tractors and six cylinder engines, but was never used on V8's. It's a really nice colour!

The Ford Red that I am familiar with goes back to the 1950's when it was still OK'd for use on the FH. and the OHV 292 engines. They dropped that color in the 1960's.

Wm.

·
Registered
1 Posts
going through the XA ZF manual and they refer to some U.S. made blocks used in some aus cars identified with a red rocker cover with a "Corio Blue" stripe. looking at Corio Blue it looks like the lighter blue on the unpainted blocks. thoughts?

·
Registered
4 Posts
going through the XA ZF manual and they refer to some U.S. made blocks used in some aus cars identified with a red rocker cover with a "Corio Blue" stripe. looking at Corio Blue it looks like the lighter blue on the unpainted blocks. thoughts?
Another blue that is very close and not as expensive is blue acrylic 63/00 or 9613385DS from New Holland tractor stores. The Ford tractors use the same blue back to the 60's.

·
Premium Member
594 Posts
It's a common error on restored cars. The Ford Blue, first used in '66, was very popular. As a kid in the 70's, small block era, I figured that they were all and always that color. The older FE engines were basically bullet proof, so it was very common for a guy to pull a motor, de-grease it, then paint it, and put it back in and sell the car as "overhauled engine". He might have even installed new oil pan, intake manifold and valve cover gaskets.

I obtained my '64 back in 1986 as a rusted hulk with no brakes but the drive line and interior were unmolested. The engine had original factory paint on most of it. That's really the only way that I know this. Now, with the internet, we have articles like this:

Correct Ford Engine Colors

1 - 19 of 19 Posts