Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I picked up a 1968 Ford Galaxie 500 not to long ago and I have been having trouble try to get the car to idol. I replaced the fuel pump, carb, and flushed out all the old fuel. I noticed that fuel is not getting to the carb even though when I pumped the fuel manuely fuel came out. What should I do?

·
Premium Member
1,330 Posts
A good start would be to explain better the issue you are having.

·
Premium Member
5,846 Posts
Welcome to the forum Mr. V! We all do what we can to help each other - and especially new Galaxie folks.

By manually do you mean when you pump the accelerator you can see gas squirting ? If so then gas IS getting to the carburetor float bowl.

Speaking of that, if you have a ford carb you can unscrew the lid and set it to one side while the engine is running. The gas is the front bowl should be about 1" from the top while the car is running, if you can get it running.

What kind of intake and carb do you have? Sometimes there is a bad fit between those two and the spacer and air leaks in from between them.

If your PCV attached and working? Does the vacuum hose or hoses coming off the intake have a leak in it?

Have you tried idling without the vacuum tube attached to the distributor vacuum cannister?

Sometimes on reassembly the distributor is put in pointing the wrong way and if a Chevy guy put it together the wiring can be backwards.

Have you put a timing light to the pointer and what did you get?

·
Registered
238 Posts
POINTS! check'em if its just idle.... you can do so many things to just find out it that its a simple point adjustment....

*side note*
man im still stuck on how i only needed to adjust my points on my falcon to get her to run,idle, and go just right. so simple, yet i had no idea, now i pass my knowledge to to the world

check your points and what FE said :tup:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have beem checking the carb and no fuel is getting to it.
I found theres low fuel pressure, i found that out by tanking
The fuel hose and cranked the car while my friend was
Holding a towel on the end. But if i spray starter fluid in the
Carb it attemps to turn over but she fails to fully turn over.
To answer the posts, I did buy a new carb and the place
Also sent me a fuel filter so it cant be that. Also the pointers
are fine. So it deffinetly not getting fuel.

·
Premium Member
5,846 Posts
You can use a two foot rubber hose and connect it from the fuel pump to a one gallon gas can. I've done that before. If the fuel pump is working you will get a good start in 10-15 seconds.

You could check the fuel line by disconnecting the rubber hose from the pump and blowing about 10 PSI of air into it. Have your buddy listen for bubbles at the tank. Also unscrew the gas filter and if it is full probably the pump is bad or there is an obstruction between there and the carb. I am just guessing about these tests, have never tried them myself but seems to me they would be good.

Some in-line fuel filters have check valves so if you put it in backwards you won't get flow.

Not sure what you mean by "low pressure," can you describe your test in more detail?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts