Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok it's been awhile since I've been on here. I have to rebuild my engine my self I was wanting to pay someone else to do it but you know how stuff gets in the way. Any who I have just taken off my intake and heads. But my question is if my lifters are still good and the pistons slide back and forth like they are suppose to. Do I need to worry about the cam and crank? My motor is a 390 4bbl and has 81,000 original miles.

·
Premium Member
596 Posts
Unless you have the knowledge (sounds a little like you don't) please get an engine builder to build that engine. You know the old saying, pay me now or pay me later.
I just had a STOCK small block (not ford) built for $1700.00 and it was balanced. I could have saved $1000.00 by doing it myself (didn't know how anyway) but they had the know how, tools and 30 years experience. Money well spent.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The car sat in a barn for 16 years but was wrecked on the driver side door the day it was put in the barn. About 3 months ago I took the valve covers off and found a broken push rod. Then last weekend I decided to take the intake and heads off and seen that only one intake valve stem was slightly bent and that's the only problems that I found with the motor. I just wanted to know if I should replace parts in the block.

·
Registered
419 Posts
The car sat in a barn for 16 years but was wrecked on the driver side door the day it was put in the barn. About 3 months ago I took the valve covers off and found a broken push rod. Then last weekend I decided to take the intake and heads off and seen that only one intake valve stem was slightly bent and that's the only problems that I found with the motor. I just wanted to know if I should replace parts in the block.
With that many miles I would at least open it up and replace the bearings, and check the rest of the parts for wear.

·
Premium Member
6,077 Posts
Unless you have the knowledge (sounds a little like you don't) please get an engine builder to build that engine..
You'll never get much knowledge about engines that way.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
I would get a full rebuild kit and let a machine shop do the short block, and if its a smaller type shop maybe you can watch and learn and get questions answered. (learning) then if comfortable put the top end back on. (with those parts checked by the same shop. there WAS something that happened to cause it to bend a push rod.....) They NORMALLY dont bent just because.....

M2C

MRO

·
Premium Member
34,855 Posts
OK then.

Make a short list of what you want from your engine.

Make a list of what your engine to do.

Then tell us what's currently wrong with it, in a list form (not that it matters a whole lot but a thrown rod is a special case, where a bent pushrod and valve isn't.

Then we'll get right on hooking you up with advice, both good and bad :)

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I pretty much want the motor stock. I'm a virgin at this so i want to keep it basic. As far problems with the motor. It turn over after setting for so many years My wife's Grandpa said that when it was wrecked it didn't seem to run right like it jumped time. So i assume it hit pretty hard. As far as a list goes i was just hoping that all i had to do is get new push rods, intake and exhaust valves, guide valves etc.. for the heads. I did pull out some of the lifters and they were either flat or concave. the book i have says that if the lifters are in this condition I have to replace them and the cam shaft. So I'm at the point that its all overwhelming at don't know where to actually start at.

Thanks So Much For All Help.
TJ Antoszewski

·
Premium Member
6,077 Posts
Well if you can pull the heads you are not really a rookie :). I like your analysis. I bought a stock cam on ebay for maybe $25 and lifters at autozone. Lifters were 4 to a box but the clerk thought the price for one lifter was for whole box. Woo-hoo! Got off cheap.

Anyways, you seem to have your head screwed on straight, maybe your problem can be solved with minor surgery, forget the folks who say spend $1,000 to let a machine shop figure it out. I would only point out that the stock iron intake is a heavy, uncooperative SOB. You may be looking at multiple ons and offs. You will be better with an aluminum intake so you can remove it at will and fix rods and lifters and leaks and whatever's down under there instead of having to call out your wife to help you raise and lower the thing all the time.

·
Premium Member
34,855 Posts
OK, Your FIRST priority is to take the engine apart and find out what actually is broken.

You will need tools and about 5 coffee cans ready for nuts and bolts and a Marker.

Take the engine apart after you remove it from the car.

Take PHOTOS of the FONT of the motor so you KNOW where the Long bolts go and where the Short ones go and where all the Brackets are supposed to go back to. This is IMPORTANT.

If you don't have a camera draw a picture!

OK that's your FIRST Quest young Jedi. Chop Chop, hop to it!

FE

1 - 15 of 15 Posts