Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new not only to restoration but to Ford's. My son is in to Classic cars so I found a 67 Galaxy 500 4 door this is his first car. It is pretty straight and the 289 runs.
So far we have changed the oil and run cleaner through the oil system and cleaned out the radiator and that is about it. I plan on droping the pan because we found pieces of plastic in the drain pan. I have a couple questions I could use help with.

Any special issues with dropping the pan as far as clearence?
I saw on another post that these pieces are most likely timing gear would that be the most likeley senario?
What is the best way to clean the top end(rockers ect.)?
Would you drop the pan on the tranny (auto) or just have it flushed?

Sorry this is so long. He wants to stay as original as possible with car at this point so I have so carb questions I will need info on later. Thanks for your help. I have already learned a lot here on the forum.

·
Premium Member
34,853 Posts
I can make suggestions, you may follow or not at your leisure.

1: To worry about cleaning out a running engine is to over complicate things.

2: The plastic IS your timing teeth, replacing with a roller setup is the way to go.

3: If restoring the car, simply pulling the motor is the way to go.

4: When motor is pulled you can access everything. I recommend simply re-doing all the easy gaskets and seals while doing timing chain.

5: Washing cleaning and painting can be done at this point, remove intake, valve covers, timing cover and oil pan at this time, clean paint and instal new front & rear main seals, install timing chain and cover and oil pan, then stick the motor back in and be on your way :)

There are other ways to go about it but this is simplest and the engine bay can be re-shot at the same time.

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Welcome to the forum. And it's Galaxie not Galaxy. First timers always get that wrong. An orginal Ford shop manual is your friend. Not only will you need to drop the pan and clean it out you will also have to pull the timing cover and replace the timing chain and gears. I would not drive the car too much until you do that, as the plastic can be sucked up into the oil pump and it will lock up the oil pump and you'll have no oil pressure.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the advise. We plan on taking everything apart Friday. I would like to pull the engine but I do not have the equipment needed to do that at my house.

·
Premium Member
229 Posts
Thank you for the advise. We plan on taking everything apart Friday. I would like to pull the engine but I do not have the equipment needed to do that at my house.
Harbor Freight sells a cherry picker for $99. Problem solved.

·
Registered
10,316 Posts
Or most equipment rental shops have them, but prices vary widely, and you'll need it twice. Find local car clubs as they are a wealth of info and resources - including at least one guy that will loan you his engine hoist (cherry picker) and load leveler "just to help the kid out".
;)
David

·
Registered
84 Posts
Welcome Brady
I was in your exact situation just a year ago. Fe is right on track for starting out. I was able to borrow a engine hoist, and just from asking around met a ton of new "car guys" who were eager to help us. Pulling the engine was a great experience for my son and I. There is a ton of info on here, just gotta learn how to search the forums!
Good luck!
Tim

·
Registered
10,316 Posts
p.s. if you suck up the plastic in the pump, the engine will stop because the dist will stop
Sometimes - if you're lucky. Usually, the weenie 1/4" hex pump drive will snap or pretzel before the distributor drive gear roll pin lets go. The 351W and up have the stronger 5/16" drive and the gear pin will usually let go first. I only bring this up, as the gear roll pin cannot be relied-on to be a failsafe against running with zero oil pressure. A beefy aftermarket replacement shaft will generally ensure the roll pin gives first.
:(
David

·
Registered
10,316 Posts
Dammit, Jack... LOL "We call the monkey Jack." (Pirates of the Caribbean)
:D
David

·
Premium Member
5,865 Posts
I don't blame you for leaving the cherry picker and engine stand for a later day. It is a time and space consuming project. Who wants to buy a Galaxie only to have it sit in the garage for months? Maybe someone can suggest something you can do flushing-wise through the dipstick or the drain hole, I don't know. The shop manual or someone here will tell you how to get the oil pan off a 289. Until then, if you are driving along and the engine quits, shift into neutral and pull over, no big deal. Costs you a tow and an oil pump.

Agree w posters recommending replacement of timing set. Do that, then drive it around while thinking of your next project. The book "How to rebuild your small block Ford" is pretty good too.

·
Premium Member
1,060 Posts
BradyG,
Listen to these guys they will help you a lot.
Take the suggestion and buy the engine hoist. But, do yourself a favor and buy the 2000 lb hoist (Harbor Freight has them on sale for $149 right now). DON"T take a chance on the small hoists. Then if you want to pull the engine and trans together, no problemo! Or if you want to upgrade to big block, no problemo! I pulled the 429 engine and C6 trans from my '64 Gal by myself, no problemo! :)
p.s. Welcome to the forum.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts