Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a little stumped here. My engine has been smoking at high (both engine and rpm) speeds. I did a comp test the other day and I came up with all 8 cylinders being btw 175-180 and no unusual readings. This car smokes bad going from 3rd to 4th gear and continues to look like a tar kiln in 4th. What in the valvetrain could be the culprit? Or is it a seal leak large enough to make that much mess? I had about 7 oil droplets fall on the floor within an hour while doing the comp test, so I'm leaning that way. What seal could be that bad without being really obvious? The VC gaskets are ok and there is no sign of leakage there. The clutch doesn't slip so I don't think it is the rear main. Any help or even wild guesses would be great.
Thanks,
Bryan

·
Registered
64 Posts
Try to trace where the oil that dripped came from. If you can't tell clean as much of the engine, oil pan, valve covers as possible then start her up take a short drive and check it all over. Does the smoke seem to come only out the exhaust pipes(burning oil inside the cylinders) or from underneath the car, engine compartment(leaking oil hitting on top of hot exhaust pipes)?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can't tell for sure where it comes from. I need to get a friend to follow behind me and watch to find out where it is burning from. The bottom of the car is pretty much covered in oil but I can't be sure it is burning on the pipes since I had a bad VC leak when I first started the engine.

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
Just in case you didn't try this yet...clean the engine, it makes it much easier to see a leak if it isn't hidden by accumulated mess.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
You need to see if its comming out of the pipes of just out from under the car.... I'd say valve cover gaskets at High RPM's the Valve covers are full of oil and could be running down to the exhaust pipes..
CLEAN IT UP AND WATCH EVEN A COUPLE OF CHEAP CANS OF MOTOR DE-GREASSER CLEANER WELL HELP... the only $1.oo store hrer has some.
tim

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.