Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son and I installed a CAI on his '95 mustang 3.8 and now he says the engine sometimes hesitates when driving. Is there another mod that's commonly done while installing a CIA..like a bigger MAF or throttle body, or something? Does the MAF sensor need recalibrated maybe or is this hesitation a seperate problem?

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
My son and I installed a CAI on his '95 mustang 3.8 and now he says the engine sometimes hesitates when driving. Is there another mod that's commonly done while installing a CIA..like a bigger MAF or throttle body, or something? Does the MAF sensor need recalibrated maybe or is this hesitation a seperate problem?
CIA's often require a reprogramming of the computer. If you're getting more air in, you need more fuel, which usually is a computer tune. Check places like Superchips to see if they have a tune for your application.

·
Registered
780 Posts
You've likely modified the airflow into the engine in such a way as to make the MAF under-report to the computer how much air the engine is pulling in.

Make sure there are no air leaks between the MAF and throttle body.

Make sure there is nothing in front of the MAF to disturb the airstream going into it.

Try repositioning the MAF.

·
Premium Member
1,479 Posts
My understanding is that sometimes the engine's PCM takes a little time to "figure out" it's getting more air and will adjust the fuel as needed. Has it been happening for a long time? If not trying driving for 50-100 miles and see if it's still happening.

John

·
Registered
251 Posts
On 94-95 stuff you shouldn't have to get a new tune to run cold air. I have done several of these with out a problem. I am fairly certain that your problem lies elsewhere. check the little wire in the MAF is it clean? You can clean it with non cl brake cleaner. Did you install that frigging IAT chip?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts