Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Subscriber
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The problem...

The Chariot of Iron runs fine until WOT, the engine stumbles badly, power declines rapidly and eventually stops running. After waiting a few seconds, the engine will start albeit w/some difficulty and it will operate normally for a few (less than 10) miles and the engine stopping problem happens again.

I've replaced the following items:

1. Battery
2. Alternator
3. Voltage regulator
4. Spark plugs and ignition wires

Suggestions? TIA

·
Registered
125 Posts
Sounds like a fuel delivery problem. When the motor dies is there fuel remaining in the carb? Have you replaced the fuel pump or lines, or fuel filter.

Mike

·
Premium Member
512 Posts
Sounds like you are running out of fuel. Is the fuel filter OK, how about carb float levels? Any crimps in the fuel lines?

JL

·
Subscriber
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
On 2001-12-23 22:41, Kcode wrote:
Sounds like a fuel delivery problem. When the motor dies is there fuel remaining in the carb? Have you replaced the fuel pump or lines, or fuel filter.

Mike
I haven't checked carb for fuel. Freeway shoulders w/holiday traffic buzzing at who knows what speeds are not exactly the ideal place to check. The fuel filter was replaced about 15-18 months ago. I haven't replaced the fuel pump or lines.

·
Subscriber
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
On 2001-12-23 22:42, FasterDamnit! wrote:
Sounds like you are running out of fuel. Is the fuel filter OK, how about carb float levels? Any crimps in the fuel lines?

JL
I haven't checked float levels. Also, I didn't notice any crimps in the fuel lines.

·
Subscriber
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
On 2001-12-24 00:15, Cyclone Joe wrote:
The mechanical fuel pump, I'm guessing thats what you have? may be showing its first sign of failure also.
How do you troubleshoot a mechanical fuel pump? Or just replace?:-?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Stock mechanical pumps are pretty inexpensive and simple to replace, put a new fuel filter on while your at it. You can check your current pump by pulling the feed off of the carb and stuffing it into a bottle and cranking the motor over with the coil wire off. It is probably better to just buy a new pump.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Before you go replacing everything, try and get a pressure reading from the fuel line directly feeding the carb. Adding a permanent one is a good idea so you can tell how your fuel pump and filter are holding up at a glance. You should have at least 4 pounds and no more than 9 or 10 tops.

·
Registered
398 Posts
In effect, taking a pressure reading at the carb with the engine running at WOT is an excellent indicator of volume. If you have 3-4 psi at the carb with the motor at full power, the pump is providing more flow than the engine needs, so the volume must be OK.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I would check your vac. avd. on the dis., just unplug it from the carb/manfold. then drive it around and see if the problem goes away, if does replace it. i had a problem with my fairlane that was like that. i would step in to it and the motor would start to stumbles then die. and that was the problem

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.