Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Turns out i will have to store my engine for awhile (maybe a year). Whats the best way to go about protection? I have heard about bags that have grease built into them but none of the shops around here have them... Any suggestions?

·
Registered
739 Posts
Trash bags work fine, but they aren't very durable. Summitt sells the more durable clear ones, but as long as they keep air out it doesn't matter. I haven't heard of any with additives. If your motor is in some state of disassembly, lube up the exposed machined surfaces with oil of some sort. I used ATF to super scrub mine, then left it on and it has remained rust free this winter.

·
Registered
209 Posts
One thing that I would suggest is to back off the rocker arms, particularly if the engine has a high lift cam and you can't turn it over every once and a while. I can't believe it does a valve spring any good to sit totally compressed for a year.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the suggestions guys. Didnt even think about the springs good point.

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
You must save the springs by backing off the rockers. You need to put some sort of lube in the cylinders such as Marvel Mystery oil, top cilinder lube for alky engines... The aluminum & cast will corrode, this is what dissimilar metals do. Lube it good & rotate it a few times, this'll stop any problems you might encounter.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts