Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 97 ranger with 2.3 liter and auto transmission. Miles are 125000. MPG is around 20 - 22 mpg
The problem is just as you accelerate at idle or when climbing uphill over bridges etc. the engine surges. Power drops and acceleration is flat. It also has a very slight miss in gear at idle. No DTC's present or pending. Engine can be warm or cold ( as shown on the temp gage ).
This truck has new Fuel Injectors, Plugs and Wires, IAC, TPS. Map Sensor was swapped out with no improvement. All hoses checked for vaccum leaks. Intake and throttlebody inspected for leaks. None found.
My immediate question would be: Can a Crank Position sensor fail with out setting DTC's and operate like this on this engine. I have seen the 7.3 powerstrokes fail with powerloss (injection timing off) without setting codes. Failed CAM sensors was their problem.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
712 Posts
If a crank sensor fails, your engine will not start, period. An engine can do without a cam sensor signal, the computer goes to default and will allow the engine to run (on a conventional spark gas engine), but would set a code.
My question is: could it be your transmission slipping?
Hope you figure it out, Chris.
P.S. Mass Air gas engines have Barometric Pressure Sensors (BARO), Speed Density engines have Manifold Pressure Sensors (MAP). I know someone will think it.
Chris

·
Premium Member
1,825 Posts
Did you use Bosh platnum plugs ? I had the same problem and it was the plugs. The guys at the parts counter are saying that they are having lots of problems with them.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts