Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm putting a 88 mustang 5.0 into my 65 comet, I had to put on the original oil pan to fit over the steering but the old pan covers up half the hole for the dipstick. Can I just modify the dipstick tube to fit? I don't think I will get a decent reading if the dipstick is towards the back and the sump is in the front, am I going to have to put the old timing case back on since that's where the original dipstick location was for the front sump? Is there a third hole I just don't know about that'll work? Either way I'm not sure what to do about this problem and i would like to see if anyone has any insight before I start buying parts and cutting them up to see if they fit. Any input is appreciated, thank you very much.

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
You will either have to drill a hole in the timing cover for the dipstick hole or swap out the cover..Keep in mind the old timing cover may have different port shapes for the water pump as it is not meant for a reverse rotation water pump like the 5.0 has..

·
Premium Member
1,479 Posts
I've got a late model 5.0 (347 stroker) in my 65 Falcon. I just re-used the old timing cover and water pump and you're done. No messing around with sepentine belts and reverse direction water pumps to deal with. :tup:
John

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I wanted to keep the serpentine belt on there, update everything under the hood. So I'll probably drill the hole in the timing cover. Is there a good place or just anywhere I think I can mount the dipstick tube?

·
Premium Member
628 Posts
I wanted to keep the serpentine belt on there, update everything under the hood. So I'll probably drill the hole in the timing cover. Is there a good place or just anywhere I think I can mount the dipstick tube?
Pass side opposite of the mech FP mounting. You might be able to mount the rear sump thread in dipstick into the front of the old style pan too.

·
Registered
10,338 Posts
+1. Take a peek to see if there is an un-drilled boss there. Note in the pic below the later cover on the right has no dipstick hole, but the cast location is there.

David

Even covers with sensor locations can have dipstick bosses. These two do not, but show what you're looking for:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the diagram! Drilled a new hole, heated it up and tapped in the dipstick tube, works like a charm!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts