Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I have a 1981 4 door Fairmont Futura that I have inherited from my father-in-law. It has a straight 6 200 engine and c4 trans. I really like this car but I want to turn it into a "Green Hornet" style car. But first I want to start with the engine. I need more HP! I have read the forums on swapping engines and it seems to be pretty easy. The only problem that I am having (since I am fairly new to this) is with some of the tech terms. I read about swapping "K-members". I don't know what or where that is .... sorry. But from what I read I can swap a 5.0 mustang engine from certain years with no problem because of the fox body. Can anyone give me a list of things to change to reach this goal? Recommendations, Suggestions?

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Your FAIRMONT has a special cross-member (inline six) as opposed to the 2.3L and 5.0L. You have to change it out.

·
Premium Member
1,479 Posts
He's talking about a large brace that goes across the front under the engine. That is what the engine mounts to. A simple "cross member" is just one large steel brace going from side to side. A "K member" is just like it sounds. It's a metal brace that looks like a "K" going side to side with angled braces off of it. You will have one or the other on that car and I suspect it's a cross member but I'm not sure.

Changing out either type isn't hard. On some of the newer cars they leave the engine attached to the K member and after unbolting it, remove it and the engine together from under the car in one piece.

John

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
only thing I seen different between the 6 and 8 was the motor mount tower .

those were cut off and motor plates were used

6 cyl tower extended further to the front

8 bolt if I recall correct removes the K member

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
O.K. thanks for all the info. I understand what it is now.(you can teach an old dog ....). What type of cars would I find the 351w in? Also, on this website: Eric's Fairmonts - Home, I saw where a "QA1 K-member" was used anybody know anything about that?

·
Premium Member
1,479 Posts
Ford put 351's in just about everything including trucks so finding one isn't going to be hard. Keep in mind that a 351W is slightly larger than the 302/5.0 family. Because they have taller decks they are also wider so fitting one could be a problem and headers are going to be harder to find as well. Personally I'd stick with a small block.

QA1 makes suspension and handling parts if that's what you're asking. Top shelf stuff too.

John

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
If it's a Fox body, I would suggest using nothing other than Maximum Motorsports for the suspension pieces. Also, unlike everyone else, their k-members are built for strength and street duty first, weight second. The QA1 does a good job reducing weight but compare it to a MM k-member and you won't want to use the QA1 on the street. As for engine, again, the Fox body market has 351 swap kits and as long as the exhaust routes in a similar manner as the Mustang, swap headers are available.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts