Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering putting a 95 5.0L in my 68 mustang. It is a strong running complete motor. I am going to convert it into a carberated system and change the exhaust manifolds too. My big question is what other major modifications do I need to do (if any)?????? Any and all info on this subject is greatly accepted. Thanks for taking the time.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Well the engine will bolt right in if the car is a v-8 car. You may have to modify the exaust some for those headers. Your going to have to get a different fuel pump because they had a tank mounted pump. Change the intake and carb....get rid of all the smog ****. I also believe you have to get a older distributor or an aftermarket because its also hooked up to the comp? What type of tranny are you using? you may have to have the driveshaft shortened. Good Luck...I hope i helped a little....Try

http://fomoco.com/forummain/default.asp?Date=8/18/01&H=1&M=36&S=3

They are a good site to help with the classic fords, Ryan

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Are you planning on keeping the serpentine belt system? If so, you're going to need to get an electric fuel pump, or find an older timing chain cover with a fuel pump boss and a reverse rotation water pump. If you run a manual transmission, you'll either have to get a bracket for your clutch Z-bar, or drill/tap the block for the appropriate hole. You'll also have to convert to a front sump oil pan and appropriate pickup, as well as moving the dipstick to the timing chain cover.

-Brian

·
Registered
355 Posts
If you go to a mechanical pump, you need to remove the timing cover and add the cam to drive the pump. Also watch for a missing dipstick hole in the timing cover on rear sump engines. You can drill one if you have to or get an older style timing cover with the hole already in it. Either way the dipstick is shorter. The oil pump pickup needs to be changed too.

As for ginition, I'd go with a Duraspark unless you plan to rev above 5000, then it's aftermarket all the way.

Good luck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok guys thanks for responding keep them coming. To answer some questions- right now, I am planning on keeping the serp belt system. so it sounds like I need to get an electric fuel pump. I am running a top loader 4 speed tranny so I think that switching to a hydraulic clutch is in order. And it sounds like I have to change the oil pan and pickup and get a new timing chain cover with the dipstick tube (yes?). Also, the old exhaust manifolds that I was running were the standard 289 hi po style. What type of header can I use to replace them without changing the rest of the exhaust system right away? Any ideas? Anything I am missing?

·
Subscriber
173 Posts
To answer some questions- right now, I am planning on keeping the serp belt system. so it sounds like I need to get an electric fuel pump.
Ford Racing has a timing cover that can be used w/mechanical fuel pump.

And it sounds like I have to change the oil pan and pickup and get a new timing chain cover with the dipstick tube (yes?).
Yes.

Also, the old exhaust manifolds that I was running were the standard 289 hi po style. What type of header can I use to replace them without changing the rest of the exhaust system right away?
JBA and Sanderson have five-oh headers for early Mustangs. Hope this helps.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts