Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 65 galaxie with a locked up 390 and good crusie o matic trans. I was thinking 400-C6? give me some ideas/GOOD advice

·
Registered
4,589 Posts
Engine mount will be a pain in your- Er uh...... Its not going to be easy.

Not to mention exhaust will be a even bigger pain in your Ummmm... Never mind.

·
Premium Member
364 Posts
The 460 swap is done a lot. I have not done it, so I'll let others weigh in.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Since no one else has chimed in here I will give you my two cents. If I knew what I was in for before I decided on a 460 and C6 to replace my 289 and C4 in my 64 Galaxie I would have gone for a FE series big block. However my attitude may change after I get this thing running, If you decide to go 460, expect to run into more headaches than you can imagine and more work to go along with the headaches and sore back and hands. If you are young and ambicious and have lots of money and time maybe the 460 would be fine. There is plenty of help and information on this wonderful forum if you go either way. Just my 2 cents.
Bill Bailey

·
Registered
580 Posts
I agree with boxtop. You just gotta stay focused on the goal Bill. I can absolutly assure you, the first time you nail the throttle in your 64, your gonna be so glad you settled for nothing less than the 460.

·
Premium Member
364 Posts
Usually, its easier to replace the same engine you already have. In this case, it's the 390. It's a good engine, and lighter than the 460. However, if you like torque, a 460 is a good choice. Depends what your goals are. I really have not heard any good things about the 400 engine in terms of performance.

·
Registered
4,589 Posts
I think my 351C swap was pretty easy. (from a 289)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts