Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im wondering what engine would be the best to put in my 65 ranchero. can i put a cleveland in there with out hacking it up or what

·
Registered
241 Posts
Considering the storker kits available for the small blocks, id just go with a 302 or a 351W. Parts are cheaper, and they fit with much less fuss from what ive seen(not done.)

·
Premium Member
731 Posts
IMO the Cleveland would be the WORST choice for an engine. Yes, back in the day the Cleveland was (and still is) a high performing engine, but today you can get a great performing windsor that fits in the bay. I have some Tubular Automotive headers for a 351w in a '64 Falcon, but if my five bolt 289 ever dies I will likely rebuild the 289 HiPo block I have into a 331 or 347 and keep the engine as compact as possible.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thank for your opinions i was wondering because i can get a free running 400 and c6 i was also talking to a guy who said the Cleveland will fit better than the Windsor because the exhaust ports were angled down more on the Cleveland. i have the original 289 how much would it cost for a mildly built 331 i considered that also

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had a cleveland in my 65 Ranchero years ago. It will fit, but it is very tight. I never found any headers that would work. You would have to get some custom built. My opinion would be a windsor. There are so many parts out there for them now. I am installing a stroker windsor in mine now. I also installed a TCI front suspension. That was a very nice improvement. Much more room with the shock towers gone.

·
Premium Member
2,867 Posts
DSS racing normally has 331 stroker kits for around $900.
That's just the rotationg assy.

Still need, Heads, cam and lifters, gaskets and timing set.
+ machine work.

·
Registered
103 Posts
"i can get a free running 400 and c6 i was also talking to a guy who said the Cleveland will fit better than the Windsor because the exhaust ports were angled down more on the Cleveland."

The 400 is NOT a Cleveland! Although it shares some valve train components with the 351C, it has a much larger block. I doubt it would fit without severe shock tower surgery. I'd go with a 289/302/5.0 Windsor for minumum hassle. The 351C and the 351W's are taller and wider than the 302's. Some people get them to fit in the Falcon chassis, but I suspect it isn't easy.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts