Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have some questions about putting a 351 c in my 63 fairlane 1 do the shock towers have to be rmoved 2will the 8 inch handle it has anyone done it i would like to see pics

·
Registered
172 Posts
I had a 351c in my 64 and used the Crites kit for the towers. Headers had to be custom made as no one makes a header to fit with a 351c. I also had set the Cleveland in with a set of factory 4v exhaust manifolds and nope they hit the upper control arm mounts even after being trimmed way back with the Crites plates/kits. I wouldn't advise the Cleveland swap unless you or a friend is capable of making a set of headers. One possibility that a fellow forum member did was pick up a set used 460 Crites headers for the Fairlane and chopped around 6 inches or so off with the flanges and grafted the Cleveland flanges to the 460 headers.Don't know if this helps any, but I went through all of this and the headers/exhaust is the problem so be prepared. Dwayne

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the info i am thinking about putting in an aftermarket mustang 2 suspention not sure. this should take care of clearence issues . i might go with a back half &subframe connectors so this would eliminate the 8 inch as well its alot of work but very possible i origanaly had biult a roller 302 for this car but traded my brother for the 351c that changed my out look for the car it is arust free 63 sc i have never had it on the road it is a very solid car . i would like to make it a street strip kind of car with minimal intierior do you have any sugestions

·
Registered
172 Posts
Very good idea, if I had it to do over I would have done the MII front as well. Much better steering options, brakes, clearance just to name a few. Check the Sanderson site for some Cleveland short headers that may be a possibility for the swap with the MII front. Rear axle I would find an Explorer with a D4 axle code 95 up with disc = 3.73, posi, 31 spline rear buy one extra short axle shorten the long side using the extra short axle. There are plenty of tech articles on that swap on this site and others. I gave 125.00 for my axle and 45.00 for the extra short one, can't build a nine for that! Good luck

·
Premium Member
2,867 Posts
Save the $45 for the extra axle. Remove the cover and and take the long side out. Insert short axle.

You will cut 3" from the long side axle tube.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts