Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok. I've got the c4 back from the motor about 5-6 inches. I think I've spun the torque converter all the way in. I've done this 2x before.
How can I be absolutely sure its all the way in??
2. How can I be sure it doesn't drift out as I raise the tranny up to meet the block?
3. #. How can I get the pitch of the two to be the same so the tc and flexplate meet up easily. Right now, the car is raised, so the flexplate is looking up, while the tranny has the normal vertical pitch.....
Any help appreciated. If I dont get this back together soon, I'll learn how it is to sleep in a mustang!!!

·
Registered
170 Posts
Ragtop, get some help, there has to be someone in Dallas that can help you. Putting motors in by yourself is no picnic. Even if you have to pay someone a little to help you. It will be worth it in the end. You've pulled this motor out twice haven't you?

·
Registered
165 Posts
Are you trying to put the transmission in to the car with the motor already in there?
If so this trick works very well. get 2 bolts that are the same size thread as the belhousing bolts, only much longer, like 4-6 inches and then cut the heads off of them and place them in to opposite holes of the back of the motor and now you will have 2 alignment pins so to speak that you can get the trans started on to and once there you just slide it up to the back of the motor and put in a couple of more bolts, draw it up and then remove the alignment pins and replace them with correct bolts. Just be sure to turn the torque convertor till it lines up with the flex plate as you push it into place and you got it. Then raise the back of the trans and install the trans crossmember. Good Luck

·
Registered
398 Posts
Where in Dallas are you?

Greg

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tim-
that sounds like a good idea. I dont really have the tranny all the way out, just slid back about 5-6 inches.
Greg- I'm in Southlake, by Grapevine

·
Registered
165 Posts
67ragtop, give it a try you will only be out a couple of bolts and if you save them they will come in handy again some day. I have a pair of them for fords and chevys in my tool box and use them most every time I do a trans or convertor swap.

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
Ever see a tranny jack? Wonderful looking gadget for stabbing in a transmission. I don't have one either, LOL. Somebody really ought to make a floor jack attachment for this.

For positioning the transmission I put a square of plywood on the floor jack and then rest the pan of the transmission on that. As the transmission goes up I will add some wedge shims in the front to get it close to the right angle. Propping up the back of the motor a little with some short boards helps.

If your converter is new or newly painted trial fit it to the flexplate to make sure it will go onto the crank without a problem. I've had to sand down paint on the converter snout from just being too tight. Also, make sure all your converter studs are straight and go easily in the flexplate holes. Banging a converter around trying to stab one will sometimes bend these a tiny bit and get them off whack. You can tap them back lightly with a hammer and block of wood(don't hammer on the threads).

For dropping in the converter you just put it in, hold it straight so it doesn't try and sag, rotate it and push it in. It should drop once into the input shaft splines and once into the notch on the front pump. I think lockups hit 3 times. If you stare at the converter in place it should recess inside the vertical plane of the bellhousing a bit less than an inch.

When you go to stab it sort of come up from below and a bit behind with the transmission. Get it on the block pegs and slowly jack it up a little at a time while pushing it forward. Obviously, before the converter studs hit reach back in there and move the converter a bit to get the studs to line up with the flexplate holes. What I have found that works best for this is to turn the crank by hand until one of the flexplate bolt holes is exactly at 6 oclock(bottom). It helps for aligning the thing.

If it is all aligned right it should just slide easily together using the floor jack as a roller. If it doesn't something is not right.

Never use the bellhousing bolts or converter nuts to pull it together under force. Good luck with it. I live 2 hours from Dallas so its a bit far for me. If you were around Longview, Marshall, Kilgore, Texarkana even I'd be over there to help.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well, I pulled the tranny completely out since I was most of the way there anyway. I started putting the other items back on the motor since I need a mental break from the engine/tranny challenge. I'll have somone to help me in two weeks. I'll wait till then to put the tranny back in. Thanks for this help...It sure sounds like this will make it a lot easier!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts