Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have access to an 88 manual fox, thinking about doing the following..

swapping in engine and box

removing ac/pas and other unnecessary belt driven stuff, and going back to a V belt + old water pump and timing chain cover.. or.

removing pas/ac and keeping serpentine (would i just need a shorter belt, would I also need a new Rad?

would i need a new drive shaft and additional conversion parts (obvioulsy pedals but what about cables etc, was the 88 cable clutch)?

what other stuff would i need on top of what i have with my old 289 stuff available and the entire `88 fox?

ill quite likely go back carbed for ease of installation, if i do stick with injected, will I need a new harness?

cheers,

Mark

·
Premium Member
1,064 Posts
What car you putting it in? if its a 65-66 mustang I went with a hydraulic clucth setup from daze cars, I bought a tranny cross member and drive shaft(its a inch or two shorter) for the t-5 from CJ pony parts...the shifter will fit right in the hole in your floor boards, the later modle engine water pump turns reverse direction and you would have to change raidiators because the outlet and inlets are are the same side on the fox motor, convert it to a v-belt and old timing cover and water pump(your 289 parts will work) and get either a clutch cable of hydro kit for your clutch, here are some links

DazeCars, For Sale Page

·
Premium Member
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
its going in a `68

going or a cable clutch route for simplicity.

the purpose is to get as close to a daily driver as possible, and shooting or good highway mileage.

can i set up my pulleys like this -

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/foru...ne-belt-w-standard-pump-no-p-s-waterpump1.jpg

with the water pump pulley etc from the 5.0 and the impellor from the 289 along with a shorter serpentine belt? that seems ideal.

cheers,

Mark

·
Premium Member
1,330 Posts
The 88 should have a reverse pump so you need to change the pump if you go to the vbelt or a pump that will driven in the same direction as the crank.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts