Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hola,

I may be purchasing a '65 Fairlane wagon. Prior to it's becoming a lawn ornament it was a 289/3-speed manual. I would like to put a much newer engine and transmission into it but have no idea what will work. Something that wouldn't require any cutting or similar. My hope is that it would be possible to run a 5.0 5-speed manual without having to cut on the pan or have anything custom fabricated to put it all together. Any idea where I could start?

Gracias

·
Registered
10,420 Posts
Please share why you want "newer", and what that means to you. Your goals. Looks? Reliability? Bragging? Economy? Spending money? 😆 Seriously, be specific.

·
Registered
1964 Fairlane 500 Sports Coupe
9 Posts
I have a ’64 Sports Coupe. I had a hard time finding one with anything bigger than a 260 or 289 due to the restrictions of the shock towers. I finally found one with a 351, but the builder shaved off the shock towers and put a Mustang II front end on it in order to create the necessary space. I have to say, it was well worth it. I’m not sure if a more modern 302 will fit in there without shaving them or not.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Hola,

I may be purchasing a '65 Fairlane wagon. Prior to it's becoming a lawn ornament it was a 289/3-speed manual. I would like to put a much newer engine and transmission into it but have no idea what will work. Something that wouldn't require any cutting or similar. My hope is that it would be possible to run a 5.0 5-speed manual without having to cut on the pan or have anything custom fabricated to put it all together. Any idea where I could start?

Gracias
Vehicle Motor vehicle Hood Car Automotive tire

I have an idea...
Not a crazy hot rod but 215hp is much better than I started with.

Shock towers are a constraint for headers on the 62 and 63 but there are more options for the 65. I recently purchased some Scott Drake K-Code exhaust manifolds to let it breathe a little better.

·
Registered
55 Posts
A 302 with moderate cam, intake, carb and headers should get you at least 225 hp. Aftermarket heads probably another 25-40 hp.
What rearend is in the car. Need to review that before adding hp up front.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts