Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys, it's been a while since I've posted. Figured a good comeback post would be an engine progression picture, so here you go!

Three Fifty One Windsor :)

The only issue im running into is a water pump. As you can or can't tell, the timing cover is for a CW water pump. Running a serpentine setup, like I want to, i do believe requires a CCW water pump. Anyone able to confirm or deny this for me?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Same timing cover, CW or CCW. That cover you have is an universal cover.

·
Registered
10,312 Posts
Correct. The CW covers can take either CW or CCW (reverse) rotation pumps. Note the higher efficiency cover at the bottom-right of the pic. While it can get better flow with a 7-bolt CCW pump, it cannot retro to a 9-bolt CW pump. Your cover is the bottom-left one. Before you drop the issue, verify if you want the dipstick in the cover, the pan, or the block, and that you have what's necessary to do that.

Also, verify if you're using a L or R inlet water pump, as that will designate which side the timing pointer goes on. If it's a '70+ L inlet, the pointer will go on the R side by the crank sensor bracket. However, that type moves the pointer from about 10:00 position to about 11:00 position, so verify you have the correct balancer markings for the pointer you use. Whew.

David

Mix 'n match:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts