Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys.

The experiances about Alumaloy wern't too great. So Im trying to figure out another way to fix the ports on my Downs Ford (aluminum) intake.

Recap: I bought a used Downs Ford intake plenum to use on my 351. I got it cheap-now I know why. Some got a little port happy on a couple of the ports. Its not horrible, I could honestly probably bolt it on and be okay, but I would like to exhaust options first. The worst port is about .125" past the gastket. (On the gasket thats between the upper and lower manifold.)

Do you guys think I can use epoxy (JB weld, etc..) to fill the area of the port, then shape it with stones and sanding rolls to match the gasket?

This will be a supercharged car, so Intake temps will be higher than ususal. There might also be secondary injectors above the port, so it needs to stand up to gasoline. Ideas? Advise?

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
JB Kwik Weld can stand temps up to 300* F and the old JB Weld can stand 600* F but is a PITA to use because it runs and takes forever to harden!!

JB Weld also makes a putty called "Waterweld" that will cure under water and will patch gas tanks. Check it out at Wal-Mart and see if it won't do what you want!!

Cobrajack

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
I have used Moroso A&B epoxy. It is like a putty that can be formed and will hold it's shape. It feels similar to clay. After cure you can cut it. It is made for intake work such at that. Hold up to gas.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Whatever stuff you use, make sure to put some 'divots' into the aluminum so that when cured the patch will have something to grab onto.
Im not to sure about jb weld because its suposed to have steel in it. If so than the rate of expantion when your intake heats up will pull away from your patch and might cause problems.
If you want the horses mouth then id call some high performance head prorting shops. Might find one that will actually help you over the phone.
good luck.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
If it's only one port, why not take it to a local welding shop to have them put some aluminum in there so you can take it home and reshape it? I doubt they'd charge more than 10 bucks, might even do it for free

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Motorhead on 3/24/06 11:16am ]</font>

·
Premium Member
856 Posts
i think id been doing what motorhead suggested too

·
Registered
4,154 Posts
I wouldnt use any kind of epoxy. My427Stang epoxied the intake on his old 427, and upon disassembly, found much of the epoxy to be a gooey mess on top of a piston.

I'd probably bolt it up and never think about it again. Heck, theres a worse port mismatch when you use a stock 4v cleve intake on a 2v motor, or a CJ intake on a stock 429/460 and you still pick up power.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Original question was "Epoxy" but if welding is an option I wouldn't hesitate to weld it!!!

Cobrajack

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Cobrajack on 3/24/06 6:11pm ]</font>

·
Registered
120 Posts
If you must use epoxy, try the Z-spar (Sold by Goodson as the PRK-99 port reshaping kit).
This Epoxy has been a proven winner in intake manifolds an ports over the years.
Caution, Alcohol will disolve it over time......so use for gas motors only.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts