Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My county does not permit the sale of ethanol free gas but there is a place just outside the line that does. I'm wondering if it is worth the 60 mile round trip and the extra $1.50 or so per gallon.

Also I was looking at gas cans and 5 gal model runs $15-$25! What's with that, those things look like they cost $2 to make. What's an alternative?

·
Registered
201 Posts
It’s all I run in my high compression engine and my small engines. In my daily drivers I just run the 87 octane ethanol, or,uh,diesel!
I have it locally though. Tough call if you have to drive 30 miles

·
Subscriber
609 Posts
i put a new motor in my riding lawnmower last fall. mowed the yard once, stowed it for the winter, with the gas in it.
pulled it out this spring, mowed the yard once. pulled it out for the 2nd mowing...it died halfway through.
dropped the carb - it had two globs of plasticy-goo in it (the stuff that happens with ethanol gas in a plastic tank).
the mower doesn't have 5 hours on it yet.

what's worse...i was using non-ethanol gas. or at least...it was supposed to be.
ethanol is terrible.

·
Premium Member
5,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You're saying there's fake non-ethanol gas out there? See if yours is with this diy test

·
Registered
201 Posts
Yeah, that’s why I spend a few extra bucks on the non ethanol. Too many times my small engines have carb issues, and I find the float bowl full of goo. I can run my Stihl saw or leaf blower,then let it sit until the next season, and they always start and run fine.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I'm from the "corn belt" here in the US. Since the early 1980's that's the only gas available in my area. So I've been using it the past 40 years in everything I own, weed wackers, push & riding mowers, cars, trucks, and race cars. I've NEVER had one single issue with the stuff. Like any fuel that's not going to be used over a season you need to use a fuel stabilizer. I add that to my fuel each time I know I'm going to store a gas powered engine for more than 3 months. I've even gone up to 2 years before starting a motor with fuel stabilizer with out a problem.

·
Premium Member
5,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm from Texas.

·
Registered
777 Posts
I just got back from filling up my 20L gas can with E0 91 to run in my Mach1. My engine runs way better with E0. Better idle and less carb gumming up. I fully dump my carb out after the season. My lawn mower works way better with E0. I run E10 is everything else.

·
Premium Member
5,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What's a good large cheap container for gas I could keep in the garage.

·
Registered
1 Posts
It’s all I run in my high compression engine and my small engines. In my daily drivers I just run the 87 octane ethanol, or,uh,diesel!
I have it locally though. Tough call if you have to drive 30 miles

Me too....It's all I use 91 Non Ethonal.......3 more MPG around town in my '07 GT/CS Mustang....2 more MPG around town in my '15 F150 ecoboost 3.5 Boat, Mowers Hot Rod all get it....

·
Registered
1 Posts
My county does not permit the sale of ethanol free gas but there is a place just outside the line that does. I'm wondering if it is worth the 60 mile round trip and the extra $1.50 or so per gallon.

Also I was looking at gas cans and 5 gal model runs $15-$25! What's with that, those things look like they cost $2 to make. What's an alternative?
You can often find gas cans on Craigslist or at the junk yard (left in cars when towed) for cheap. I think they have to get EPA/CARB certified now with those annoying anti vapor spouts, so they jack up the cost to cover the certification.

Ethanol is harsh on rubber and plastic parts on old cars that weren't designed for it. In addition, it absorbs water from the atmosphere. Once it saturates itself, it separates and makes an acidic mix of sludge and water that corrodes metal and clogs up carburetor passages. You can greatly mitigate the issues by using Sta-Bil or something similar, but it will still be harsh on your old fuel system parts. I've found that adding Sta-bil and then running it out of fuel before storing helps the most. If you can get non-ethanol, I would. Even then, gas does degrade over time so don't stock up too much or you may find yourself regretting it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts