Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So as a fellow ford truck/car lover I am frequently working on my own stuff, and as I advance towards some of the repairs/upgrades I am often left wanting for some very expensive tools... as I am sure most of you are, from time to time. Be it a few minutes with a mill, lathe or plasma cutter, you can't justify buying the dang thing for that one project it would make so easy!

And as I often moan about my lack of cool tools I guess I sparked some interest in one of my family members about catering to that market...

The 'club' I guess you could call it would be basically a big warehouse full of tools. Kind of a 'gym' for cars :cool: So you could have time on a number of machines. There would obviously have to be some employees there to make sure the more technical tools don't get damaged and to help in a general sense.
There could be

mills
lathes
welders/cutters
metal brakes
tube benders
precision tools (dial indicators inch pound trq wrenches, ect)

and perhaps
hot tank
parts washer/dip tanks
engine machining tools

and what have you.

This would not be to take the place of your own garage, but more help out the guy that doesn't have that friend that works in a machine shop/ auto garage.

So the question to all of you is, would you see yourself being interested in something like this if it was offered?
What would be important to have?
What would you be willing to pay to use something like this?
Would you want a membership, or a per hour/per visit payment?

any other ideas/thoughts?

I know insurance might be a killer, but wavers and other things might take some of the liability away. Of course tool damage is an issue, but employees overseeing the use of the tools could minimize this too...

what do you guys think?

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
plus you would need a million dollars for start up or a loan .

great way to lose a million bucks

·
Premium Member
3,340 Posts
people are pigs...all it takes is one to ruin it for everyone. at work we have a small toolroom, the machinists(we had 2) have been gone since things slowed down in 08, but pretty much all the mache tool building guys and a couple maintenance guys use the machines when needed...last time i used the small lathe, it was out of oil- fresh chips all over said it had been run dry recently...i cleaned it up, oiled the ways/shafts/gears, made my parts, cleaned it up...next day it was buried in chips again.

last person to use our mill tilted the head and left it...went to tram it back in and saw why- musta tried the worm screw without loosening the bolts enough, broke off in the head... pulled the head, made a new shaft, put it back on, made my parts,cleaned /oiled it... next day- chips all over again.

even something simple as a bandsaw or shear- always trimmings/chips all over. our little bandsaw i used monday to cut a piece of stock, the coolant was orange...whoever filled it musta been too busy to get some soluble oil and mix up some coolant...I dumped it out, mixed up some coolant, brushed the chips off...

I'm one of the messiest most disorganized people around, but I cant see how folks can be so disrespectful to expensive machines, my toolbox is a chaotic mess, but I still keep stuff clean and oiled- even if I cant find it, it wont be useless next time I need it. Ive got a cnc bridgeport in my garage I rebuilt/retrofitted a Fanuc control on, and a 1953 LeBlond lathe- I rarely use either, and truth be told probably spent more time cleaning/oiling than cutting metal over the years- but they are good to go, and should certainly outlast me...guys think i'm nuts waxing our tractor or my welder, when my car is dirty, but to me they are just as expensive, deserve as much care. most folks dont care...
something Ive really only recently figured out...Ive always thought anyone could do anything if they put their mind to it, but a few folks Ive met this year has saddened me to realize some people are just plain incapable of learning anything...these are the ones that could break a nerf football and hurt themselves trying to pick up the pieces...I wouldnt let most folks run my machines unless they could prove capable first somehow...mistakes happen, but stupid stuff happens all the time-

someone sent me a youtube link of a kid taking a dare he could stall a lathe by holding the chuck key...he took a ride, somehow when he flew over the machine it wrapped his foot/leg around the chuck, I didnt need to see that... I couldnt help but wonder though if the idiot didnt try to sue the machines owner or manufacturer...bet he did.

I would be scared to death to let anyone run machines in my garage...my kids have been lectured about the abuse they would get if I ever caught them turning on a machine or using the lift without my consent, I keep the power locked out...I'm a worrywart, my kids might be old men before I'd let them run anything without me watching whats going on- I hope they learn, can be safe/capable of doing anything, but theyve got to prove a awful lot of aptitude before I'd ever let them jack up a car or cut a piece of metal without me seeing them do it safely many times first...

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the input guys, I figured as much, but wanted to make sure I wasn't being close minded when I was talking over the idea with my family member.

thanks again!

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
It IS a great IDEA (PipeDream) but very impractical as ford4v pointed out... Its not theirs so why take care of it.... If you man each machine with knowledgeable ppl then you have just opened a machine shop is all...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts