Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
been wanting one for a long time, found a new 3 ton unit with 66' of cable on ebay for cheap- tried it, they work even better than what i'd read...two levers, one pulls, one releases, bidirectional action on each, no wasted effort...seriously, you can lift/lower tons so precisely its amazing, the action feels almost hydraulic, so smooth...

only bad thing, I kinda wish I'd just got a 1 ton- its heavy and the 5/8 cable is a little ungainly to coil/uncoil... anyone that might want a nice winch/hoist/puller for their shop might want to check them out... i'd saw one in Japan yrs ago, they used them for pulling machines into position- along with 'toe jacks' (a bottle jack with a dogleg sidelift attachment- can lift machines that are only 1" off the ground easily) they made rigging look easy...still want to find a couple toejacks. guess this stuff is common worldwide, but Ive rarely seen either around here...

tim

Attachments

·
Administrator
21,668 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
heres video of the kids pulling/lowering our gator up and down the driveway - yes it was blocked :)

theyre cool as the load is always controlled - stop any point in the stroke lifting or lowering and its held, just swap handles to reverse it...no ratcheting, none of the jerkyness of electric hoists, none of the travel limits of hydraulics- aside from size and cost, probably the perfect hoist. you could put a whole spool of wire thru it if desired. this one popped up on ebay with no bids, got it new for 1/2 the price of the cable alone...gotta love surplus dealers.

I want to find a smaller one to throw in my box at work, would rock for positioning robots/machines, better than bumping around with forklifts :)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/8015278732/

·
Registered
10,312 Posts
Cool stuff. My Dad had a tiny one for 3/16 line years ago. A bit longer than a dollar bill and something over 1" thick. Rated to 1/2 ton if I remember right. I don't know where it went, but I'd like to get another, or one for perhaps 1/4" line. The best part is the slack take-up by just pulling through, though the double-action is pretty sweet too.

Anyway, if you find a good source, perhaps we could do a group-buy and save some bucks.

David

·
Premium Member
3,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cool stuff. My Dad had a tiny one for 3/16 line years ago. A bit longer than a dollar bill and something over 1" thick. Rated to 1/2 ton if I remember right. I don't know where it went, but I'd like to get another, or one for perhaps 1/4" line. The best part is the slack take-up by just pulling through, though the double-action is pretty sweet too.

Anyway, if you find a good source, perhaps we could do a group-buy and save some bucks.

David
I'd looked for a smaller one- like 'come-along' sized, never saw any...think there would be a big market for one though- those little ratchet come-alongs are some of the flakiest tools ever made IMO...dont think ive ever seen one used where it didnt have issues...maybe we should tool up to make small ones, they were patented in wwII surely expired :)

·
Administrator
21,668 Posts

·
Registered
10,312 Posts
I'd looked for a smaller one- like 'come-along' sized, never saw any...think there would be a big market for one though-

...maybe we should tool up to make small ones, they were patented in wwII surely expired :)
I like it. Yeah, the smallest Jet is the 3/4-ton, 5/16" model. Still way bigger than the one we had, and 1/2-ton/1000 pounds is good enough for 90% of what I'd do. I'll keep looking for alternatives before venturing. Like Deb said, the climbers may have some recent innovations we could use.

David

·
Premium Member
3,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Administrator
21,668 Posts
Seems it's all in what search terms are used it seems like. I had to figure out what to call it and gave up on a name. I was thinking the griphoist/tirfor was like xerox, a brand name. Still not sure lol

·
Premium Member
3,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

David
found the little one you described- three pounds? cool!

TRACTEL® | Jockey™ – Portable wire rope hand winch

1 - 12 of 12 Posts