Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Building a 351w for my everyday driver 1996 e-150 with a little stink. .030 short block,AFR heads comp cam 35-255-5 bump stick and considering a Holley EFI Sniper system. 1st off is this worth the expense for the gain (not heard of projected gains ) and if the stock efi not used will it affect the transmission ?

·
Subscriber
609 Posts
Hello - i'm curious as to why you'd switch over to the Holley EFI, instead of using stock.
That's a pretty expensive system.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's why the questions. I have to change the motor due to low compression in 2 cylinders. Gonna have the motor I want no off the shelf stock motor.

·
Subscriber
609 Posts
Fair enough - i'm along for the ride.

cam description from their website:
Xtreme Energy™ Computer Controlled 210/214 Hydraulic Flat Tappet Cam for Ford 351W. EFI Speed density. Works with stock computer.
Very strong torque, excellent mileage and good idle quality.

if it were me, i think i'd try to save the $1200 and just run the stock computer. You could always switch later if you need to.

·
Subscriber
609 Posts
ouch. that's another $600 bucks...
That looks like a regular RV-style camshaft to me. i'm struggling to think how this build is going to benefit from aftermarket EFI.
And with just an RV cam...why bother upgrading to aftermarket heads?
There's no need for heads that can move a ton of air, if you're not running a camshaft to match.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was trying to find out if there is a performance advantage which I'm finding the only advantage would be if you had a carb. set-up giving you efi easy start etc. but no advantage over stock efi.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ouch. that's another $600 bucks...
That looks like a regular RV-style camshaft to me. i'm struggling to think how this build is going to benefit from aftermarket EFI.
And with just an RV cam...why bother upgrading to aftermarket heads?
There's no need for heads that can move a ton of air, if you're not running a camshaft to match.
1st. off these are the small 165 heads and comp. matched the cam with the parts list I gave them and my use and projected hp range. The cam is the extreme style to take advantage with my parts list without using high lift to kill the low end torque for my heavy vehicle (5000#) and towing ability.

·
Subscriber
609 Posts
I think you've made a good camshaft choice.
I'm just not sure about the "return on investment" of the rest of it, which is what you were inquiring about.
Those AFR heads are pricey.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Got a good price on the heads (used).Have owned this vehicle over 18yrs. it owes me nothing and it's goin nowhere. Just want the best of both worlds, travel comfort and respect when you hit the loud pedal.

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Do you have mass airflow or speed density in that e150 ? What trans and is it controlled by tv cable or computer ? All that would matter. Can not see and advantge of after market EFI from here just yet especially if you already have Mass and it will tollerate the upgrade. It will be nice to see what you do. Keep us posted

1 - 12 of 12 Posts