Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my ever increasing thirst for knowledge I have begun my quest to learn everything I can about the door mounted spotlight mirrors that Ford installed on our Galaxies. From what I have been able to learn the spotlights were made for Ford by Unity. I found this page online that gives a good explanation of the Unity numbering system and it has some PDFs that further break this down.

Unity Manufacturing Company Spotlight/Mirror

I am determined to find one of these for my 62 and that is what piqued my interest. If anyone has anything they would like to add to this I would really appreciate it. Part numbers, pictures or anything that is just interesting. I am going to post up the part numbers from the 1961 Ford Parts and Accessory catalog. These numbers should be correct for both the 1961 and 1962 models.

Reactions: ShotRod64

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The part numbers and the breakdown I have are as follows:
Spotlight and bracket kit LH: C1AF-15313-B
This consists of the following part numbers:
1-C1AF-15302-A spotlight
1-C1AF-15315-A LH bracket (outside)
1-FDR-15325-A LH bracket (inside)
1-34079-S8 nut- 10-32
1-34803-S7 lockwasher #10
2-Screws #8-15X 5/8" oval head
2-Screws #10-12X 1/2" hex w/washer head
1-Instruction sheet #516
1-Shield (door wiring)

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Off topic but does anyone else that is old as I am remember the spotlight wars on the screens of drive-in movies?

·
Premium Member
5,864 Posts
what kind of movies?

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Ummmm putt, it would be whatever was showing for the weekend...lol Yes I do remember it Kultz but I was a youngster and was with aunts or uncles, depending on who drew the 'short' straw.... ;)

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I am reviving this. My research has shown me that the spotlight I need for my 62 is Unity model H1 FM. This was the easy part. Does anyone have a Unity part number for the mounting bracket? I have found 164L and 155L as possible. Now the questions. Since 61 and 62 share the same door I figured the bracket would be the same. Shouldn't the Mercury be the same as well? Does anyone have a copy of the installation instructions secifically for the 62? Dave, if you are watching do you have any pics of the spotlights you have?

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
After scouring the Unity website I found that 155L is the left door bracket and 155R is the right side.

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I actually won a bid on ebay for one last night. It isn't perfect, but it is a start. I am corresponding with Unity to get the missin hardware and a template. I am going to have to find one of those wiring shields that goes in the door jamb area.

·
Administrator
21,678 Posts
Wish i had a spare but not thinking far enough ahead i realize my 'new' door doesn't even have a hole for the wiring to go through for my door lights so need to remedy that sometime. Bet someone has one laying around though that may have swapped out doors. Congrats on the find btw!

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
How is the Shotrod doing? Is life easier with two functioning doors? I realized that these spotlights are not well documented for our cars and I aim to change that. My light should be here the first of next week. Then I can take inventory and order the pieces I need. I will do a teardown and take pics to document the light for the future. I am awaiting a respose from Unity pertaining to the template. They have been really helpful with part numbers so far.

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I saw that and it is a really good breakdown of the parts. I figure when I tear mine apart I will find out what is broken, what needs repaired and give it some maintenance. I have a few parts ordered from Unity and I have 12" long drill bit for the door surgery. This should be interesting.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Domino - I haven't been checking this site as often as I used to. I don't even remember seeing your initial post on this from back in 2012. I have a used set of the HI FM spotlights with brackets that I bought several years ago. I'm going to use them on my Mayberry Police car replica, even though these aren't the ones used on the cars in the show. Mine are pitted bad. I plan to grind down the high spots of the pits and fill the low spots with a special filler used for powder coating. Then powder coat them with near chrome powder. There is a template and instructions for mounting in one of the 62 Ford manuals. I think it is the electrical manual. Please keep us updated on your progress. I finally started working on the Mayberry car this summer and hope to put the spot lights in next summer.

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
How is your car coming along? I do not have the electrical manual yet. I ordered the body manual first thinking it would be in there. I guess I know which one to order now. The one I found is not perfect, but it is decent. It had the bracket and everything. I have wanted this option since I got my car and I finally found an affordable one. Do you have any pics of yours? I could not find a single pic of a 62 with the spotlight.

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Dave, do you need any fordor parts like trim or such? I have a parts car here and it still has a lot of good stuff.

·
Registered
645 Posts
How is your car coming along? I do not have the electrical manual yet. I ordered the body manual first thinking it would be in there. I guess I know which one to order now. The one I found is not perfect, but it is decent. It had the bracket and everything. I have wanted this option since I got my car and I finally found an affordable one. Do you have any pics of yours? I could not find a single pic of a 62 with the spotlight.
I'm probably half done with the interior of the XL. Then I have to de-anodize, paint, and polish all my trim, and install it. I'm hoping to have the car done by the end of summer 2015, but it will probably be 2016. I installed the upholstery by myself. There are a lot of wrinkles. I'm hoping they will smooth out eventually. See pics.

I started on the Mayberry car late this summer. I have the front suspension, brakes, and steering all done. I'm hoping to paint the firewall this weekend, then my goal for this winter is to get the motor and transmission cleaned up, installed, and hooked up. My spotlights are all boxed up, somewhere in the pole barn, so I can't get a picture. They are pretty rough. I think I'm ok on 4 door parts. I have 2 4 door parts cars myself and the project car is in great shape to start with. See picture of my junkyard below.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Your car is really coming along. The folks at Unity have been great to deal with. I have the template and instruction sheet. If anyone can tell me how to post PDFs I will gladly share them.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts