Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2021 F150 STX
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,
41 degrees f outside and 47% humidity. Lots of water idling out of both pipes. Drained oil and could not detect “milky” oil. Watched in radiator cap for a long time and dont see anything odd in coolant….. but do have some “yuk” on dip stick and under oil breather cap. Panic sets in because the last engine I had in this old truck started leaking from head gasket into cylinder and I let it set up and ruined the cylinder wall. I started both late model F150 v8 and noticed both of them are making a good bit of water out the pipe too so maybe all is well and maybe normal? Any ideas for a good test for internal coolant leaks into block? Water out of pipes seems very clear and cant seem to smell coolant just the usual burnt fuel smell.

·
Registered
2021 F150 STX
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you start them in weather like that you need to run them down the road till, they are good and warmed up. Small starts and runs are hard on engines. JMO
I bet that is exactly the issue. I outta be kicked because I know better and always preaching to my fly guys to not start it unless they gonna fly it. I did notice after drive to shop this morning that pipes weren't making water at stops while it was at operating temp and after a couple hours resting the restart made it sweat again till it got warmed up. Thanks for thoughts.

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
I do not start my engine and idle, unless I planning to drive my standard 10 mi loop. I'm of the mind it takes about that many miles to replace the amperage consumed by the starter to crank and fire.Not to mentionable of the condensation that builds then is left to rust from the inside out. That hole in your muff doesn't originate outside, it originates from within. School us on what is Aviation best practices?

·
Registered
2021 F150 STX
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I do not start my engine and idle, unless I planning to drive my standard 10 mi loop. I'm of the mind it takes about that many miles to replace the amperage consumed by the starter to crank and fire.Not to mentionable of the condensation that builds then is left to rust from the inside out. That hole in your muff doesn't originate outside, it originates from within. School us on what is Aviation best practices?
So most piston prop setups ask for a minimum of 195*F oil temp indicated which figures the temp of oil entering the temp sender cavity has just previously reached average boiling point of water and therefore “boiled” the water to dissipate thru crankcase ventilation. Depending on the size of these aircooled engines and airframe weight the time needed to achieve temp is variable but as commented for a 10 mile run in car/truck we figure at least a ten minute flight will get things heated up. I have oil cooler shutter on my rig and winter air dams to moderate airflow in sub 30*F range or i cannot get oil temp up and water gets plentiful. So I am thinking the new 3 core radiator with no blockage of airflow may be a bit too much cooling capacity on f100 unless as you suggest to go ahead and stretch its legs out for a few miles. Sorry to ramble but always appreciate critical observation/suggestion.

·
Registered
2021 F150 STX
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you don't have a small drill hole 1/16"-1/8" at the bottom exit end of your mullers, drill one. Keeps the muffler from rusting out quicker.
I confirmed a hole exists in both mufflers but not seeing much water from them so I wonder given their age and mud-dobbers nests and rust build up if the drainage is sub-par. I will poke something into holes tomorrow to see whats up and probably be planning for some new exhaust before long.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi folks,
41 degrees f outside and 47% humidity. Lots of water idling out of both pipes. Drained oil and Kodi nox could not detect “milky” oil. Watched in radiator cap for a long time and dont see anything odd in coolant….. but do have some “yuk” on dip stick and under oil breather cap. Panic sets in because the last engine I had in this old truck started leaking from head gasket into cylinder and I let it set up and ruined the cylinder wall. I started both late model F150 v8 and noticed both of them are making a good bit of water out the pipe too so maybe all is well and maybe normal? Any ideas for a good test for internal coolant leaks into block? Water out of pipes seems very clear and cant seem to smell coolant just the usual burnt fuel smell.
what model do you have ?

·
Registered
10,493 Posts
I have oil cooler shutter on my rig and winter air dams to moderate airflow in sub 30*F range or i cannot get oil temp up and water gets plentiful.
You need an oil cooler thermostat, a random example of many is here. This forces oil to heat to a minimum temperature quickly (even in cold weather), then allows the cooler to hold it above that. While a 180°F rating may seem low the units are remote in cool air, and in-block oil temperatures are higher, as shown by this aviation version at 180°. ;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts