Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know whether headers from a F-100 with a 400 motor will fit on a 77 Ranchero 400? While knowing the Rancho is on a car platform, it looks from underneath like there could be room for the truck pieces. Has anyone tried this? Or any other recommendation for headers? I am really more interested in max fuel economy than high performance. Thanks, Ron

·
Registered
91 Posts
Same issue with my 78. After a lot of head scratching, I discovered that Hedman headers from a 72 Ranchero 351W can be made to fit.

Basically cut off the flanges that hit right at the bottom of the firewall. Welded on some 3" tubing and adapters to the 2-1/4 exhausts. I had a local shop do the final connections. I dummied it with flex to get it running.

Only issue is the odd loop shape on the left header made plug routing a bit dodgy:

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for sharing your experience. I will tackle mine in the next few days and see what happens,lol.

·
Registered
241 Posts
If you have a welder available, 351C headers for a 73' are a better bet. 400 headers hang low in general, and from a truck, i would think they would hang even lower on a car. With the cleveland headers, its almos touching the floor boards and gives you great ground clearance.

Your steering box is very close to the engine on your ranchero and thats where i ran into fitment issues with the cleveland headers.
I used a press to shape them, but im going to cut out the sections and reroute them now that i have my own space, and no dead line to have my car out, i can take my time and modify them properly.

For almost half the cost, i think its worth a little elbow grease. BTW, i used hooker comp headers. Also, the 351W is a totally different header than on for a 400, DO NOT BUY WINDSOR HEADERS.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts