Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ive just got FPA long tube headers and dual exhaust system installed in my 63 Galaxie. One thing is wrong; at the rear part between the head and header on the passenger side, its a leak. The bolts have been tightened trying to seal the leak, but it didnt helped. The shopworker adviced me to cut the gasket in sections; removing the parts of the gasket which are between each exhaust port, making it easier to distribute the torque on the flange bolts to get it sealed. Maybe the most experienced persons strongly disagree this way to do it?

A gasket set who summit sells which also is in sections is this: Flowtech Replacement Header Gasket Sets 99261FLT - SummitRacing.com

Someone have bad experience with FPA gaskets?

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
I have not had any problems with my FPA shorty headers since installed 2 years ago. I used the gaskets that FPA provided with the headers. Give them a call, they were very helpful and willing to help with fitment questions.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Hmmmm interesting way to cure a leak, I've never heard of making the gasket in pieces. That said and not being familiar with FPA, I have always cut the header flanges between the tubes so they can pull down individually. Also make SURE the tube in question (rear-most) is fairly flat where the tube is welded to the flange. Not uncommon to have to "touch up" with a flat file or lightly with a hand grinder.. Have has some success using 2 gaskets when needed... 2C

Also I have used the "cheapy" MrGasket branded gaskets, and soak them in water before install. And I always 'notch' the end holes for a "drop-in" install. (SBF) on an FE you would notch the bottom holes, one on each end. (start the bottom bolts with header on each end and drop gasket in place. Those single gaskets would/could be a PIA IMHO.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Could it matter in how order the bolts are torqued? The most outer first and then the bolts in the middle may be the correct way to tighten the bolts?

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Do you have the factory 16 bolt pattern? Or the 32 bolt pattern that the Edelbrock heads use?
I have use the FPA Tri-Y long tube headers for 8 years with out any adverse issues but when I used them on the 16 bolt heads I had to use the copper embossed multi layer gaskets to seal all the leaks that I did have. On the 32 bolt heads I have used the thin copper embossed gaskets with good success.

Scott...

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I have the 16-bolt pattern. In the following days Ill tilt the actual header to the side and check if it is any roughness on the head or header. I also checked this before I installed the headers, but maybe thorough enough

·
Registered
197 Posts
Ive had fpa long tubes on my 62 xl 390.No leaks just used the factory gaskets but after 7 yrs the ceramic coating is peeling.Fpa said"sorry out of warranty call performance coatings.Oh well.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
I have always cut the header flanges between the tubes so they can pull down individually.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts