Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, I have a 64 Galaxie 500 with a 352. I'm replacing the exhaust gaskets and had the exhaust manifolds surfaced. I need to replace the manifold to head pipe studs. Seems like the auto parts stores list dozens of sizes.

The machine shop that ground the manifolds HAD the stud I gave them...but LOST it!! Boneheads.

I searched the forum but didn't see a size for those studs.

Anyone know what size they are?

Thanks!

·
Registered
149 Posts
I can't help you with your question but your post rasied a question of my own. I was told that the 352 (and assuming other displacments) did not have exhaust gaskets. What is true?

Good luck!

·
Registered
249 Posts
A decent exhaust shop will have the bolts you need. I stopped at a dedicated exhaust shop in town and they gave me the bolts for my 1964 390 for $5. Ford used an odd-ball thread on exhaust bolts, so you won't be able to source them at the auto parts store (I tried NAPA, Carquest, Advance Auto Parts, Autozone, etc). It's a "square" thread, which Ford engineers thought would hold better, but in the end didn't have much difference over the typical thread from the era.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I got it repaired today. The stud size is a 7/16 coarse thread. It may not be what the folks at Ford called for but it worked. I figured any machine shop worth anything could make the stud if need be. Heck, they lost mine to start with. They even tried to tell me it took a metric stud.

That shop WAS the best around here but it seems as if they have slipped a bit over the years.

As far as gasket vs. no gasket, mine had gaskets. I've heard some have the heads and manifolds ground flat and use no gasket at all.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts