Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '64 Ranchero (4R27F143031). It originally had a 260 with 2-speed automatic. The driver's side exhaust manifold exited more or less in the center and the pipe went under the engine to join the right side.

The Ranchero now has a '85 302 and AOD. I installed a pair of 289/302 cast iron manifolds. The left manifold was tight against the steering box. I ground down the area to get a bare minimum of clearance (maybe I could fit a couple of sheets of paper between manifold and steering box). I was worried about heat transfer to the steering box so looked for another option.

I heard from a couple guys that the stock 5.0 Mustang headers would fit so I got ahold of a set. But they will not fit. I can go back to grinding more meat off the cast iron manifolds but there has to be a cost effective solution.

I'd appreciate input on this, I'm at my wits end. It makes no sense as these are the same style manifolds used on the '65 Falcon V8.

·
Premium Member
2,867 Posts
Hedman Hedders 88400 will fit. Make sure that you paint them with high temp paint, as the paint applied by Hedman will burn off in a few minutes.

Dougs and hooker also make headers that fit, but cost more then the 88400.

And as you found factory mustang headers will not fit. Also 1960's mustang headers will not fit either.

·
Registered
6 Posts
If you want a stock cast iron manifold you can use an early Ford van left manifold, the one shown has a 1969 date on it, but if I remember correctly this style was used starting in 1967, later manifolds are the same design, but they have stiffening ribs running along the outside which might cause clearance problems. The 1969 is OK as the stiffening web isn't on the outer edge.
David

1 - 3 of 3 Posts