Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right now i have stock 68 302 manifolds on my 5.0. After doing heads and a cam, these gotta go. I am aware of hooker super comps that are designed to fit my application(63 fairlane) but lets just say id have to see that to believe it before id spend the 400 bucks. its really tight, the shorty headers that i bought which were also "for that application" came nowhere near fitting. My question is will a hi-po 289 manifold do a good job in lieu of headers? Will this manifold bolt to my existing exhaust flanges ie is the outlet angle the same? And lastly if anyone could take a peek at ebay number 601283803, are these hi-po or just regular manifolds? If not, what is a good source for hi-po manifolds and about how much do they go for? thanks once again guys -joe

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
This isn't from a 289 article, but I've got an old 429 build from Car Craft(or similar) done in 1971 that shows a 4 hp loss going from headers to hipo manifolds. Of course that is open. You strap that baby down to a street car system the losses probably compound. However, is the 15 or so hp and ft/lbs you loose with manifolds worth $400? The answer is up to you.

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
i bought a set of HEADERS for my 64 Fairlane with a 302.They fit beauty except for one tube on the pass. side.I'll see if i can find the part####

·
Registered
3,549 Posts

I think they are Flow Tech#12100 or 12102.Since then i bought the shock tower kit and installed a 460

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 64 TBOLT on 1/29/02 4:50am ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 64 TBOLT on 1/29/02 4:52am ]</font>

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Hooker part # 6134 is what you want. They are supercomps with 1 5/8" primaries. They are the same ones I got. $291.95 from Summit. Get the most out of those heads, and get the headers.

·
Registered
688 Posts
The manifolds you saw on Ebay are the stock 302 manifolds, not the hi po. There are hi po manifolds for sale from time to time, and the going price is $175-$275 depending more on how many people are interested in them than anything else. New ones sometimes go for less than used.

NOS/reproduction hi po exhaust manifolds run about $250.

·
Registered
465 Posts
This is what my face looked like about 7 years ago when I ordered Hooker Super Comp headers (PN #6102) that they swore up and down fit my 63 Sports Coupe. After BEATING, HEATING, AND MORE BEATING AND TORCHING AND CUTTING on the shock towers to attempt to make them fit, I gave up and sold the car.

It took about 6 or so years to get over it, but I bought another 63 Sports Coupe. Like you I decided that there was NO WAY IN HELL I'D EVER BUY ANOTHER SET OF HOOKER ANYTHINGS. One day I was on the road in S. Louisiana and ran across a guy that had a 64 Fairlane. When he popped the hood, I was shocked to find he had a set of Hooker Super Comp headers on a 302. Of course my first question was, what the hell did you have to torch to make them fit
He explained that he cut nothing and they fit great.

I went to my JEGS catalog and discovered that Hooker now makes a header that fits the 62-65 Fairlanes. It is PN #6134. I bought a set for my 63SC and they did fit good. My combo is a 302 with a C-4. Hopefully you still have the original trans cross member. Oh, by the way, double check every header bolt hole to make sure there is no slag in them and that the header bolt fits the hole. That is the only problem I encountered.

As a side story, one of recent issues of the Fairlaner magazine (Fairlane Club of America) had an article in it about all the crap everyone went through trying to make the old 6102 header work and exactly where to heat and beat to use that particular one(they were about 7 years too late for me)

I don't recall if you said what your combo is (transmission/power steering/air, etc.) but look up the #6134 header and print out and review each and every footnote exclusion number that they give to insure it will work with your combo. I just got mine put together and fired it up with open headers and it sounded great
Gook luck with your decision.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts