Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I repaired a cut in the exhaust pipe behind H-pipe by wrapping it with 2 pieces of sheet metal and some lines of DAP clear silicone sealant, then clamped it pretty tight. The sealant pkg said good up to 500 degrees. Think it will hold up for long?
pipe before.jpg
pipe after.jpg

·
Registered
63 convertable
678 Posts
combustion temps over 1000 are common. dont know how much cooling happens between the head and the pipe you're repairing

·
Registered
51 Posts
might be ok for a temporary repair but it needs to be done right. I would be concerned with a weak spot not supported structurally even if there is no immediate exhaust leak. It will flex and break again eventually.

·
Premium Member
5,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
anyone ever try muffler cement? I was thinking gobbing some around the edges of the clamp would be effective.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Definitely have it done properly. High temp, cold, dirt, vibration and other elements could easily lead to leak. I'll ask my buddy's brother if he tried that muffler cement, I'll come over this weekend to help him install the brake kit from 4Wheelonline onto his truck. I personally wouldn't use it as permanent solution.

·
Premium Member
5,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, I can use the info.. I don't want to have it done, I want to do it myself.

·
Premium Member
5,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Finding my exhaust leak: I saw a youtube from I think Eric the car guy on how to find he leak. Hook up a leaf blower to the tailpipe and crawl under there with a soapy water spray and look for bubbles. Pure genius!

If you have duals, tape a rubber glove over the second pipe,

1 - 9 of 9 Posts