Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to build my own exhaust and am planning on welding it up. The problem is, I am in the market for a nice light-duty mig welder that I can do the exhaust and maybe some other light jobs. I do not know what I should get in terms of a light duty welder; also, what amperage I should run. I am going to put headers, 2 1/2" mandrel bent pipe, x-pipe, Spintech (I will probably end up clamping these for easy removal) and tips on my '73.
My question is, can I weld exhaust without gas, using a light- duty gasless mig welder, and get good results?
Thanks, Chris.

·
Registered
279 Posts
i have a couple of suggestions....go to walmart and buy the campbell hausfeld welder they have, it's a flux cored wire welder that's perfect for welding exhaust. as far as clamping the mufflers for easy removal, i wouldn't recommend that for the ease of removal, because the clamp kinda crushes the 2 pipes together, and you'll distort the 2 pipes when you go to diassemble, what i do recommend, however, is a pair of flowmaster "ball and socket" flanges, they're made like the exhaust on many late model exhaust systems that bolt together. i'll put a link at the bottom of the post to give you an idea of what i'm talking about.....

if that doesn't work.... http://static.summitracing.com/global/images/prod/large/flo-15930_w.jpg

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the fast response, I was contemplating one of these, but was unsure.
Thanks for the tip on the ball/socket connectors, I didn't even think of something like that, it sure would be a shame to crush new tubes.
Thanks again, Chris.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I wish I could find some of those in a 2.5 to 2.5 size.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Posted: Today 2:16am by marks m
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I wish I could find some of those in a 2.5 to 2.5 size.

found 'em in dr. gas....
http://www.drgas.com/store/product.php?productid=21&cat=14&page=1

84 gt 460, 4 speed, all kinds of crazy sh!t, 5-lug, 4 wheel discs

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: sevenlitrestang on 11/11/06 2:54pm ]</font>

·
Registered
48 Posts
Thanks..

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
I've also seen people install header flanges on the mufflers. A few wrench turns, and off drop the mufflers/tailpipes.

Flux-core MIG wire will weld exhaust tubing just fine. It doesn't make the prettiest of welds, but it works fine.

I had a 120V Lincoln Electric MIG for all of my car work, (gas and flux core) and it worked very well. I don't think it was super cheap, (belonged to Dad's business) but it was a good welder, and I know it wasn't ridiculously expensive.

·
Premium Member
1,369 Posts
Any Real Hotrodder with some talent and patients can do marvelous things with a cheap flux-core wire feed. Its all in your technique, Ive seen very expensive welders used by idiots make dog-poop welds compared to me and my old POS flux core welder. I have both a MIG and a Flux Core wire feed and I use the flux core more often than the mig even on 20 guage sheet.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I got a Campbell Hausfeld, and I am practicing now. I can lay down a good bead, but not the "roll of nickels" look I am after. I do however, have a problem still with thin metals; I tend to melt through. But, I am getting better.
Thanks for all the posts, Chris.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
clamps will work fine and hold your exhaust together with no problems WITHOUT bending the tubes. As long as you don't wrench the clamps to death, the tubing will not distort and they will still provide plenty of clammping force to hold the muffler to the pipe. This is the way I have been running my mufflers for the past two years and now that I am redoing the exhaust in the next few weeks, I will be able to remove the mufflers and sell them

The ball and socket would be nice, but it will cost more and if you ever decide you want to get rid of the mufflers for whatever reason, you will have to buy another set of ball/sockets and it might be harder finding someone who wants the used mufflers that have been welded on.

·
Registered
279 Posts
my theory is....once he gets everything on, and welded up, he ain't gonna wanna sell them spintechs....

monte, back your heat off a little, and do small circles, u'll get it down, as it does take a little practice, but once you get the knack for it, you'll be wanting to weld metal and plastic....

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

I went through my first full roll of wire and I am slowly getting better. My first welds look a little clumpy, but the latest ones are starting to get the "roll of nickels" look. I can't wait to weld up my exhaust, maybe after that, I'll try some boxed control arms like here:
http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2001/03/controlarms/
Thanks for the help, Chris

·
Registered
848 Posts
i use a lincoln weld pack 100 w/ flux core wire. seems to be a great little welder. i've done a few exhaust systems with it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts