Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I salvaged a set of c8ve-e lincoln 460 heads
somebody was trying to fix and gave up on.
I guess they broke 3 exhaust manifold bolt trying to get them off then tried to drill one out and drilled too far. Looks like it went into the water passage behind it. I managed to get the other two broken bolts out and am wondering if the bad one would seal water or if I should just scrap it????

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hey sorry for the poor spelling I was in a hurry and now just feel stupid, sorry I know it makes for difficult reading!!!!

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
Into the water passage is a tough one. I had a local welder weld up a broken bolt boss on my 460 heads. Same deal as what you are talking about, I broke a bolt off removing the manifolds. I tried everthing to get that f#$ker out. Eventually drilled it out and when putting serious pressure on the EZ out, the casting broke. The welder did a good job and it's holding up fine. However, it wasn't into water. Find an experienced welder you trust and get his advice. Chances are he's had some experiences in the past that will tell him if it will work or not. He may not want to touch it or he could say no problem. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
I doubt if a welder can weld this where it is located.

You could use some JB weld and a short allen set screw/bolt about 1/4" long...

tap the hole....clean the area in the hole next to the opening....put some JB weld deep in the hole...coat the plug and screw it in as far as you can....clean the excess JB weld from the threads.....

Or....if room to use a stud....coat the stud with sealer or JB weld and screw it into the hole.

Good luck

1 - 4 of 4 Posts