Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A stupid question, but does anyone know why almost everytime Parts for old Fords, f.ex Galaxie- or mustangparts, are a lot more expensiive than parts for old chevys? Checked prices for discbrakes and power boosters and these parts for 57 Bel air are almost half the priceof what you have to pay for similar parts for a Galaxie.

Maybe a partially reason is that its easier to get chevypart than Fordparts

Not any complaining, just curious :)

·
Registered
440 Posts
supply and demand. a lot more chevys being fixed up

that would be backwards. if more chevys are being fixed up then the price for the chevy parts should cost more so that they make more money.

·
Registered
37 Posts
higher production numbers and sales actually means lower production costs, cost to consumer and greater availability. its alot safer to tool up and machine 10,000 parts than 10 from a investment standpoint
Ben

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
that would be backwards. if more chevys are being fixed up then the price for the chevy parts should cost more so that they make more money.
Cost the same to make tooling. The more they sell the cheaper they can sell it. Lots more chevy guys around.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Let's break things down here.

There's reproduction and there's NOS/NORS

There's a lot more reproduction in the GM world - and in the Ford Mustang world. Higher volume means lower production cost and more competition. It can also mean more non-QC'd Chinese junk if you're not careful, because that price competition drives vendors to do stupid things to cut prices. My '65 Mustang's got a lower rear apron that might as well be stamped from aluminum foil - but it was cheap.

I will note that 'Chinese' is not in itself a bad thing. If you've got a part you want to reproduce and the only suppliers willing to do the job are six thousand miles away, that's what you do. Personally, I'd pay more for a good domestically-produced part, but in too many cases it seems there's just no one here interested in doing specialty work. It's critical to keep your specs tight and QC a good sample count from every batch that comes in the door, though, 'cause far too many Chinese suppliers will cut corners if they know the customer's not looking.

NOS/NORS prices depend on two factors, really - the rarity of the part and the rarity and value of the car it's going into. A few years back you could buy a whole drivable Mk1 Lotus Cortina for $4K or so. Now even a restorable shell with a title is worth $10K, a roller with an engine twice that, a solid car with a competition history twice THAT and God forbid anything come to market that ever had Jim Clark or Graham Hill in it. A Locort restorer will pay a lot more for that headlight bezel than a guy with a (formerly $500, now $3000) driver Mk1 GT.

The good news for the guy with the Mk1 GT (or any other cheap car with a high-value sibling) is that money in the 'tina parts business makes reproduction of stuff viable where it might not have been before.

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
Parts for old Fords are a lot more expensiive than parts for old chevys?
A date with the prom queen costs more than a date with Ugly Betty.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Right Puttster ;)

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Cause chevy's are like A$$holes, everyone has one....
But, like A$$holes, they do serve a very imprtant purpose. :) :)

I like old cars no matter what the make is.

Wouldn't bother me at all to have a 327/300 62 BelAir bubbletop, or a Stingray, or a 58 Bonneville, or a 67 442 in my garage alongside my Galaxie.

Not wild about most MoPars, but there are a few that I wouldn't mind owning, like a 57 Fury, Dodge, or DeSoto.

Foreign cars? Not in a million years.

·
Premium Member
292 Posts
This is my first personal Ford build, and I was pretty shocked at the price gap. I had previously used SBC 350's for all my fun vehicles and got very used to finding exactly what I needed cheap and easily, the old Gal has changed that alot. However its cool to have something people really stop and look at. SS badges can dang near be found at Wal-Mart but try finding a 7 Litre badge.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
It was in the early sixys ford was producing the 406, 427 and 428 to dominate the drag strip and in most cases they did.

In the nascar world ford was in the chase as well to dominate there with the 427 cammer producing 667 horse power and at that was rated low. The battle between the hemi and the 427 were to meet at Daytona to run to see which was faster , Petty enterprises was to run for mopar, have to check who would be the driver for ford. Probably Fred Larenso.

Nascar in the rule book any engine to run on the track had to be also produced in a production car and the replacement engine accross the counter to be sold to the public. Ford sent out a statement to pull out of nascar , reason was any man willing to remove the cammer out of their cars could easy place the engine in a lighter car to make it run faster and to them it was like placing a kid on a stick of dynomite and lighten the fuse. Ford had placed the cammer in the bay of the heaviest car they had trying to slow it down. Engines were sold accross the counter as welland some found their way to the drag strips in dragsters.
During that era ford sent 2 men to each ford dealership with sledge hammers to bust up any and all remaining hp blocks so the public could not get their hands on them anymore as well as the hp counterparts to make them run faster. This is one of the first reasons why ford parts are harder to find, more costly for ford stopped production of hp engines and have not been reproduced again till recently with the small blocks.

Other companys bought the rights to ford molds for the fe engines an d have reproduced the fe blocks and their hp parts again , some say are even better than before however....The origonal parts with ford part numbers against the repops are at a higher price due to their rareity and hard to find. As well as the engines the replacement parts for their hp cars also were being made at a very low production as well in the later years as now demands also are sky rocketing.

Chevy did not make in any production car a v8 until the year 1953 however they were the first to have one. Gm could not get the v8 to stop over heating so ford bought the rights to a v8 in a contract from Gm were not to produce another v8 for 20 years. After the 20 year break Gm MASKED produced the v8 . Some here will despute this but in the earily years ford produced more cars that Gm . The decline of replacement parts for ford despit of the numbers of cars in the plants was not that they didnot produced the cars , they stopped producing the Hp parts as well the replacement parts, chevy still to this day floods the streets still with parts.

The cammer (sohc) engine found its way after the stop production to the drag strips in the bay of dragsters . The problem there and still the cammer has the problem of the timing on the left bank . Being as a example of the lost production of the cammer the price to own one it in the 30,000 dollar range and growing . Low production, engines being spattered , blew up and kelp in barns to just to say they own one has drove the price to what it has become. If the day view of the cammer and mopars hemi were to have ran possibly the productions would be flooded with hp parts and the stopped production would have not of been.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
I donot care to argue with any chevy person , the truth is in the pudding. Never seen any production chevy faster than a production ford, never made one.

Chevy to my knowledge did not make a production race car , ford made many. The chevy 427 to me is a joke, cannot show the headlight way for a ford 427 to run in.
There were years Gm had a contract of metal at a cheap price to produce the chevy cars and the metal was at a low steal value resulting in the masive rust problem the chevy cars are now having. The term on a quite night you can listen and one can hear a chevy sitting under a barn rusting away.

If in the rule books of nascar what runs on the track has to be sold as a production car then did the rule book go out the window today? Reason not but one rear wheel drive chevy car is sold to the public .

Few years back ford got back into racing and again look at what is happening from the 351 stroked engines. Glidden dominated for years until the nhra teck made it so hard to them to run , adding weight to their cars , anything they could to slow them down and still does. Even though chevy on drag strips runs great look at the things done to ford to slow the winning down. Not just another ford lover stating here or complaining just the things is it is a fact.

Glidden on his last years got tired of the restraints from nhra and went to chevy. He bought from accross the counter all one needed to win in a chevy against ford and won yet another champingship in that chevy to prove a point. Then he sold that car to Lee Shepard who was killed at a drag strip.

In other words screw a chevy and the compaining bragging driver that owns one thinking it is fast. Wish all of them were crushed to out of exsistance from the highways.

·
Registered
830 Posts
RCODE, i dont think Glidden ever ran a Chevy. He did run a Plymouth Arrow in the late 70s for a year. The Cleveland based pro stock engines went away in 83 and were replaced with 500ci BBF's. That was essentially the end for pro "stock". Glidden raced up until the mid 90s , long after Sheppard died. For Ford it was Glidden, Gapp & Roush and Dyno Don Nicholson who put Ford on the map in pro stock.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I donot care to argue with any chevy person , the truth is in the pudding. Never seen any production chevy faster than a production ford, never made one.
I'm a Ford guy through and through, but I'm not sure about that--take a 300 horse 390 Gal (stock) and run it against a stock 300/327 Impala. That's a pretty tough race--those damn chevies rev fast.

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
I'm a Ford guy through and through, but I'm not sure about that--take a 300 horse 390 Gal (stock) and run it against a stock 300/327 Impala. That's a pretty tough race--those damn chevies rev fast.
I'm a Ford guy, but in my street racing days, I saw a 65 Galaxie 390/300 get nipped by a 65 327/250 Impala, both 4 speeds.

Both cars were stock. I drove the Galaxie (because I could shift faster than the car's owner). The Impala was my cousin's.

Maybe it was due to sheer volume (very few Fords were bought by the street car guys in my area (north Jersey/Hudson County) back in the late 50's/early 60's) but GM cars usually had the edge.

Some Fords were real sleepers. My boss at the time had a 1956 2 dr wagon, three speed, OD, TBird emblem on the fenders, that could probably stay with anything else in it's class.

Chevys with 2 speed PowerGlide transmissions, that's a whole different story. Not too quick off the line.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts